Monday, October 14, 2019

SHARPEST STING (ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN #18)


The truth won’t set me free—but it will probably get me killed ...

As Gin Blanco, aka the assassin the Spider, I’m used to having a target on my back. But ever since I started investigating the secret society known as the Circle, that target seems bigger than ever.

Still, I’m trying to relax and enjoy the events leading up to my friends’ wedding when I learn that an old enemy has returned to Ashland. And that’s the just beginning of my latest nightmare. Soon, I have Circle goons watching my every move, but I have no choice but to continue searching for a key piece of evidence against the evil group.

The deeper I dig, the more horrifying secrets I uncover, and the more dangerous things become for me and my friends. Just when I think I finally have a handle on things, a shocking revelation shatters my heart and leaves me with an ugly realization—that betrayal is the sharpest sting of all ... 

Release Date: October 8, 2019
Jennifer Estep
Elemental Assassin #18
Urban Fantasy
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

Sharpest Sting is the newest book in the Elemental Assassin series from Jennifer Estep. As it is the 18th book in the series, I have to warn readers not to try and start with this book.

I found Sharpest Sting to be a bit darker than recent books in this series. The discovery of the leader of The Circle organization and his connections to Gin and Bria while expected, still threw me a bit the more Mason revealed about his relationship to their father Tristan. I've always felt like Gin was a pretty strong elemental. She has taken on so many elementals and always found a way to come out on top. Mason however seems to be 100 times stronger than any of the other elementals Gin has taken on. Makes me wonder if it is partly due to them both having stone magic and from the same family line, or if it is because Mason only has one elemental magic while Gin has both stone and ice magic. 

I have to say the history of who all was involved in The Circle was very interesting to me. I had suspected many were in cahoots over the course of the series, but to have it finally confirmed was gratifying. I will say I was way more shocked than I should have been to learn about Fletcher's involvement though. I honestly have seen him through Gin's eyes and I think even though he was an assassin, she saw him as more of a savior for saving her and Bria than seeing his assassin persona first. 

I really felt like this story was much more emotional as Gin learned more about her biological family as well as her adopted family. She also seemed to feel at a loss so many times on how to deal with the situation and keeping her family protected. I have to say I still have questions when it comes to Hugh Tucker and his motives. Now we added Liam Carter into the mix and I'm honestly not sure really what to think of him either. I'm going to continue to reserve judgment on both for now.

I'm never really surprised when Gin's memories start coming to her in dream form in each book. I sometimes wish I had that skill. It always seems like just when Gin needs instruction from Fletcher or a memory of a conversation, she always has just the right memory dream. Honestly, I really felt like in this book, the conversations with Fletcher in her dreams seemed to give her little comfort and she had to figure out how to protect herself almost on her own this time.

Sharpest Sting left me with so many questions, and I really need those answers. I still enjoy this series so much and especially love the time Gin spends with her family and friends. Those relationships have grown so much over the course of this series and it honestly helped this super emotional story as I knew Gin had support as she struggled through her feelings of betrayal. I look forward to seeing where Ms. Estep takes us in the next installment of this series.


Rating: 4 Stars (B-)


No comments: