Thursday, October 10, 2019

ARCHANGEL'S WAR (GUILD HUNTER #12)

Wings of silver. Wings of blue. Mortal heart. Broken dreams. Shatter. Shatter. Shatter. A sundering. A grave. I see the end. I see. . .

The world is in chaos as the power surge of the Cascade rises to a devastating crescendo. In furiously resisting its attempts to turn Elena into a vessel for Raphael’s power, Elena and her archangel are irrevocably changed. . .far beyond the prophecy of a cursed Ancient.

At the same time, violent and eerie events around the world threaten to wipe out entire populations. And in the Archangel Lijuan’s former territory, an unnatural fog weaves through the land, leaving only a bone-chilling silence in its wake. Soon it becomes clear that even the archangels are not immune to this deadly evil. This time, even the combined power of the Cadre may not be enough. . .

This war could end them all. 

Release Date: September 24, 2019
Berkley
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Guild Hunter #12
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

think I'm in the minority of Nalini Singh readers who started with her Guild Hunter series over her Psy-Changeling series. I love both series so much, but the Guild Hunters series, and especially Elena and Raphael hold a special place in my heart. 

Archangel's War picks up shortly after Archangel's Prophecy ended. I was so happy when Archangel's War hit my kindle, as the cliffhanger at the end of Archangel's Prophecy just about killed me! I needed to know that Elena and Raphael were both okay and even knowing I couldn't start it right away, I did read to find out that yes they were both okay, yet Elena was changed to survive Cassandra's prophecy. I won't lie, I totally breathed a sigh of relief and knew I was about to have a very bumpy ride  with this story.

I have to say while I liked Archangel's War, I didn't love it as I have others in the series. Yes I loved time with Elena and Raphael, and it can't be said enough how much I loved time with my Bluebell. However, I felt like it moved really slowly up to the actual battle. I get there were many changes thanks to the Cascade, but I also almost felt like there was information overload at times. I started to have trouble keeping up with what changes were happening in which territory. I did love all the time we had with Elena and Raphael and had all the happy sighs each time they were together on the page.

We learned more about the Hummingbird and I loved seeing her in a way we had only heard about before. I will say I was pretty surprised by what broke her after seeing her in the present. She seems more like a warrior now, and I hope that warrior instinct stays with her going forward. Honestly by the time we made it to the actual battle, I really wanted Lijuan to die a fast and ugly death. I just felt like the battle lasted forever...and really thought Raphael should have figured things out a bit sooner. 

Overall I enjoyed Archangel's War despite my few issues. I'm so glad there will be more books in the Guild Hunter series, as I need more from all of my favorite characters. I felt like the ending was very satisfactory, and I look forward to where Nalini Singh takes the Guild Hunter world in the future. 

Rating: 4 Stars (B)

No comments: