Wednesday, March 08, 2017

BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN (KGI #11)

The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business.
Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background.
Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering.

Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t...



As the last unattached member of the Kelly clan, Joe is more than ready to risk life and limb on any mission he’s assigned to, but when it comes to love, he’ll keep his distance. He’s content to watch his brothers become thoroughly domesticated. 



Zoe’s had nothing but heartbreak in her life, and she’s determined to start over with a completely new identity, thanks to her college friend, Rusty Kelly. But it’s the gorgeous smile and tender words of Joe Kelly that begin to weaken her resolve to never risk her heart again. And Joe will have to put everything on the line to save Zoe, when secrets of her past resurface—and threaten to tear them apart… 

Release Date: March 7, 2017
Berkley
KGI #11
Romantic Suspense
Review copy provided by publisher

Nikki’s Review:

Sometimes when a series goes on for too long it loses its lustre. It stops feeling genuine and I lose interest. That is so not the case with the KGI series! Each new book feels like I'm unwrapping a much anticipated present!

Sweet baby Jesus...I love me some Joe Kelly! He is the last Kelly standing. I have wanted to see him fall hard for a deserving heroine. He's all laughs and teasing with his brothers, and teammates regarding their love lives. So, when Zoe comes into the Kelly fold, and trips up his heart, I was giddy!

Zoe is timid and weary of her growing attraction to Joe. I really liked watching the relationship unfold slowly. Joe knows that she's skittish and harbouring secrets that she's not ready to share. There is nothing that melts my heart more than a hero who sweetly builds up his heroine. Joe coddles Zoe, but he doesn't stunt her from becoming who she's meant to be. 

This KGI book is a bit different from the rest in the series. It takes place mostly in the Kelly compound, on their home turf. While I love the adventures the foreign, and sometimes exotic, locations bring, there's something more intimate about the story-taking place at their home. I felt like I was able to get to know the characters from previous, and upcoming books, better. 

Even though the Kelly clan isn't jetting off to fight the bad guys in other countries, there's still plenty of heart stopping action! Zoe is on the run from someone who's suppose to protect her, her father. She's seeking refuge with her friend Rusty Kelly at the compound. She's hiding her problems from Joe and his family.

Like all of Maya Banks' books, this one is chalked full of emotion. No one can make me snot and bawl quite like Ms. Banks! But then I flip the page and things really steam up! The love scenes were nothing short of breath taking and delicious! I'm always left thinking...how does she do it?! How does this author pull so many emotions from me?! I haven't found the answer to that, and I really don't care...I want more! 

I loved that I got to visit with the characters from previous books. I like getting snippets into their lives after they've had their HEA. I also liked getting a better look at the characters who haven't had their stories told just yet. It really amped up my anticipation for future books. But what I really really really loved, was the secondary story of Rusty and Sean. Jeezus, I sobbed! Freakin' sobbed reading their "Black moment". I can not wait for their book! I can't wait to see how Maya Banks makes Sean grovel. Ya, I'm gonna need that book real soon.

I have never walked away from a KGI book disappointed. And this book wasn't any different. I love family sagas and this series is most definitely that. No matter what crazy dangerous missions the teams are on, they know they have family to come home to. You should do yourself a favour and read this book. I suppose it could be read as a stand-alone. However, I'm crazy OCD when it comes to reading a series in order. But, Maya does a great job filling in any gaps so you don't feel out of the loop. Between you and me...you should read the whole damn series!

Rating: 4 Stars (A)

Liza’s Review:

We finally got Joe Kelly's book with Brighter Than the Sun. While I'm a bit behind on the KGI series, I was so excited to finally get Joe's book. There has just always been something about him for me and I have to say I absolutely adored his heroine in Zoe.

I have to say when Rusty brought Zoe home to the Kelly compound to protect her; I was surprised at how quickly Joe started to fall for Zoe. I guess I shouldn't have been as it seems once a Kelly man meets his mate, it always seems to happen pretty fast. I loved how slow Joe worked to romance Zoe. Since Rusty couldn't really tell anyone much about Zoe without letting them know her real identity, she shared very little with Joe, but enough for him to know to take things slowly. I think I fell a little bit in love with Joe right along with Zoe. 

Joe and Zoe had amazing chemistry and I absolutely loved seeing them spend time together. Their dates were super sweet, yet I could feel the chemistry between them even before Zoe was ready to admit her attraction. I loved that Joe really got Zoe and did everything in his power to show how much he cared and loved her.

Of course Zoe's past came back to bite both her and Rusty in the ass. I won't lie when I say I wanted to kick some of the Kelly brothers' asses for the way the treated Rusty as she revealed all about Zoe's past and all the steps she took to keep her safe as she created a new identity. Rusty has a skill set that would be such an asset to KGI and I was glad her brothers finally saw her for her talents. I'm from Tennessee and so I recognize most of the towns mentioned in the KGI books, but have to say the one bit of levity I found while dealing with Zoe's horrific kidnapping was the fact they took her to Bucksnort, TN. Yes folks, Bucksnort is a real town and it makes me giggle each time I drive past the exit. The KGI teams never fail to amaze me with how well they work together and have so many amazing talents. I fall more in love with this series with each new book.

Honestly, Brighter Than the Sun is absolutely one of my favorite books in the KGI series. Yes I went outside my comfort zone and read the books out of order, but I couldn't wait to read Joe's book, and will go back to read the ones I've missed. I now want Rusty's book more than ever, but it looks like we will be waiting a bit for it, as her book is not next in line.

Rating: 4.5 Stars (B+) 



No comments: