Thursday, January 25, 2018

BAD TO THE BONE (THE DOGFATHER #4)

Trace Bancroft has been in prison for fourteen years, paying for a mistake that cost a man his life. Now released, Trace heads back to Bitter Bark with his mutt, Meatball, and runs into Daniel Kilcannon, who offers to provide some medical care for the dog. Trace knows that would mean seeing Molly Kilcannon, a girl who shared one crazy night with him before his life took a turn for the worst. But when Meatball’s illness intensifies, Trace has no choice. He has to face Molly again and pray she’ll save his dog, no matter what their history.

When Trace Bancroft arrives at Waterford Farm with a critically ill dog, Molly Kilcannon’s entire world is rocked to the core. Firmly believing Trace died in a bar fight years ago, Molly never told anyone that the bad boy of Bitter Bark was the father of Prudence Kilcannon, her very good thirteen-year-old daughter. But Molly has promised to tell Pru the truth about her conception, and now that truth is a living, breathing ex-con whose very existence could change everything, including a precious mother-daughter relationship.

It doesn’t take long for Molly to realize there’s more to this sexy man than his dark past and tattooed arms. And while the realization that he’s a father is the best thing to ever happen to him, Trace doubts anything could make him worthy of Pru or her spirited veterinarian mother. As they nurse Meatball back to health and grow ever closer, Trace and Molly have to decide when and how to tell Pru the truth. But will the secret that binds their hearts be the very thing that breaks them apart?

Release Date: January 26, 2018
South Street Publishing
The Dogfather #4
Contemporary Romance
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

The Dogfather series of books just keeps getting better and better with each installment. Roxanne St. Claire is a master of writing series about families, and the Kilcannon clan have become some of my favorite characters she has ever written.

With Bad to the Bone, we finally get Molly Kilcannon's story, and added bonus we get flashback scenes with Annie Kilcannon, who I've wished we could have met from the very first book. I already understood each of the Kilcannon kids missing their mom, but her reaction to Molly telling her she was pregnant just proved what a wonderful person and mother she was. 

While Bad to the Bone was Trace and Molly's book, it was every bit Pru's book as well. While I was afraid Trace and Molly deciding to wait to tell Pru about Trace being her dad could end badly, I loved seeing Trace and Pru become friends the more time they spent together. I loved Pru selected helping restore Trace's house as her service project for school. You could see them grow closer with each passing day they spent together.

I hated that Trace had really gotten a bad deal in his past. Luckily once he arrives at Waterford Farm with Meatball, both their lives are soon on the right track. I won't lie, when Trace arrived with Meatball and Meatball was so very ill, I totally was in tears that Trace might lose Meatball. There has been a special relationship between characters and dogs in each book, but the relationship between Trace and Meatball was just extra special to me. 

I loved seeing Molly and Trace reconnect and actually get a chance at being together this time. Yes Trace had spent time in prison, but I loved once Molly and eventually Pru learned the truth, they each accepted and wanted Trace in their lives. I also loved he found his place training service dogs at Waterford Farm. I loved the romance between Molly and Trace and really loved it was more a slow build to them being together. The chemistry was still there even 14 years later, but they took things a bit slower this time, and them being together again was so worth the wait! I really did find myself falling in love with Trace and Molly as a couple with each passing page. I loved watching Tracy, Molly, and Pru act like a family even before Pru learned the truth.

Bad to the Bone gave me all the feels. I love books that pull me in and make me feel so many emotions, and Bad to the Bone did that in spades. I found myself laughing, crying, sighing, and even getting angry a few times. I honestly didn't want the story to end and even went back and re-read favorite parts of the story multiple times. Roxanne St. Claire once again gave her readers a beautiful story that pulls readers in from the very first page. I've loved each of the books in The Dogfather series so far, but have to say that Bad to the Bone is my favorite to date.


Rating: 5 Stars (A)




No comments: