Monday, March 04, 2019

CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE MURDER (HANNAH SWENSEN #24)

Not even Lake Eden’s nosiest residents suspected Hannah Swensen would go from idealistic newlywed to betrayed wife in a matter of weeks. But as a deadly mystery unfolds in town, the proof is in the pudding . . .
 
When The Cookie Jar becomes the setting of a star-studded TV special about movies filmed in Minnesota, Hannah hopes to shine the spotlight on her bakery—not the unsavory scandal swirling around her personal life. But that’s practically impossible with a disturbing visit from the shifty character she once believed was her one and only love, a group of bodyguards following her every move, and a murder victim in her bedroom. Now, swapping the crime scene in her condo for her mother Delores’s penthouse, Hannah and an old flame team up to solve a case that’s messier than an upended chocolate cream pie. As suspects emerge and secrets hit close to home, Hannah must serve a hefty helping of justice to an unnamed killer prowling around Lake Eden . . . before someone takes a slice out of her!

Release Date: February 26, 2019
Kensington
Hannah Swensen #24
Cozy Mystery
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

The Hannah Swensen series of books is one of my favorite cozy mystery series ever. I found these books right after the first book was released and count down the next release as soon as I finish reading the current book. Chocolate Cream Pie Murder was definitely a wonderful addition to the entire series.

I had to play catch up last year and read/listened to about 6 books in the series back to back to back, so I have to admit Ross took me a bit by surprise when he came back into Hannah's life. I've wanted Hannah to have the love of her life for so long, I missed so many clues about Ross. I love how close Hannah is to both Norman and Mike, yet have never felt like either would be her happily ever after as they each didn't have issue with her dating the other from the beginning. I wanted Ross to be the real deal even once we found out he wasn't. I really hated that he ended up being such a tool when Hannah deserves the best. 

I will say that Chocolate Cream Pie Murder was a bit different from other books in the series. Usually we have Hannah and her crew working from almost the first chapter on solving a murder. This time we had Hannah having to deal with telling everyone in Lake Eden that her "husband" Ross really was still married so her marriage wasn't legal. Coming from a small town, I absolutely loved that Hannah made the announcement at her church and everyone there had her back. My heart truly did break for Hannah as she was going through all of this, and I hurt for her more once Ross started calling and harassing her. I loved how fast-paced this book was and while I was thrown off a bit for who was being all the stuff with Ross, I was right about a couple other things in the book...especially the cliffhanger statement at the end. I have to say it makes me wonder where Ms. Fluke will take this series with the next book.

While Chocolate Cream Pie Murder didn't follow the usually formula with murders and Hannah solving everything with her sisters, I did enjoy this book and can't wait to read the next book in the series.


Rating: 4 Stars (B)

No comments: