Wednesday, December 23, 2015

STOP AT NOTHING (PROTECT & SERVE #1)

When a high-profile investigation goes wrong, FBI Agent Kyle Dawson is transferred back home where he is forced to confront his demons…and the only woman he ever loved. Three years ago, Kyle and Abby Morrow shared a wild, passionate summer—then Abby broke his heart.

NOW SHE NEEDS HIS HELP

Kyle never stopped loving Abby. So when Abby uncovers evidence of a human-trafficking ring, leading to her sister’s kidnapping, he swears he’ll stop at nothing to bring her sister home and keep Abby safe. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse and blindsided by their own explosive desires, they must set aside the past before it’s too late.


Series reading order:
"Torn" (Protect & Serve #0.5 in WAY OF THE WARRIOR anthology)
Stop at Nothing (Protect & Serve #1)
Safe from Harm (Protect & Serve #2)

Release date: November 3, 2015
The Protect and Serve series book # 1
Sourcebooks Casablanca
Review copy provided by the publisher 

Nikki's Review:

Romantic suspense is a genre that I adore. Typically, there's a good balance of action, suspense, and a heart stopping love story. In my opinion, the suspense stuff can't take away from the love story. The relationship has to be the focal point and the rest is secondary. This is exactly what I had hoped to find in this book, and I wasn't disappointed! 

Part of what made this book great was that it's centred around a family. I love a good family saga! I get to see glimpses into the secondary characters lives and imagine what their stories will be like. Stop at Nothing gave all this to me. The Dawson family has a long history in law enforcement. Their lives are rooted in it. Kyle Dawson is almost the black sheep of his family. He's at odds with his brothers and his father. I absolutely adored Kyle. He's a bit cocky and arrogant in his job as an FBI Agent. He's difficult to work with and doesn't really play by the rules. So, he's reassigned to a new location...his hometown. And is faced with seeing the love of his life, Abby Morrow.

I was rooting for these two so hard! The love and regret between them was so clear. As cocky as Kyle is, he's so intense and loving towards Abby. I felt like his character was written with a good amount of balance. He wasn't a jerk and all growly. He wasn't afraid to love Abby and be transparent in it. Almost from the get go, these two are headed for some sexy times! The need and desire smouldered and kept me on the edge of my seat. I wanted them to find their way back to each other.

Abby's regrets are holding her back. She wants Kyle but she's hesitant because she knows she broke his heart three years ago. I was so happy when Kyle basically busted through every one of her apprehensions. She didn't stand a chance. I loved this heroine. She's soft and caring but she's also a kick ass cop who can save her own ass. The author did such a phenomenal job giving the characters such likeable traits. I could connect with them in most ways.

The suspense aspect of the book was fantastically written! It didn't over power the love story but it kept me engaged and wondering who the bad guy really was. There was enough of a puzzle to keep me looking for the missing piece. The cop talk wasn't hard to follow and added to the great dialogue between the characters. Again, another great balance!

While this book wasn't what I'd consider Erotic romance, it had some real spice to it. Kyle is all up in Abby's business...all.the.damn.time! It was pretty yummy!

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the books in this series. I can't wait to read Gabe's book. Will the spitfire prosecutor, Elle, come around to his sultry charms? And will Tom find love again after the death of his wife (which happens before this book. So don't worry, you don't have to witness a beloved character die) ? There are so many great story's be told with these characters! Kate SeRine is a new to me author, and she is definitely an author I'll be reading again!



No comments: