Thursday, December 31, 2015

Nikki's Best of 2015

Nikki’s Top picks for 2015

I was tasked with trying to narrow down a very long list of books into my favourites for 2015. Asking to cure world hunger or to find the true meaning of life would have been easier. I read a lot, like hundreds and hundreds of books every year. And I have to make a teeny tiny list of my favourites? This requires a bucket of coffee. It feels like having to choose between my children! This list is in no particular order. Just narrowing it down to this many was hard enough. Don't ask me to pit my babies against each other. I just can't do it. So, here goes. These are my top loved books of 2015!

1. Jessica Lemmon's Second Chance Series
    Bringing Home the Bad Boy
    Rescuing the Bad Boy
    A Bad Boy For Christmas 

This series was is so fantastic! The heroes are so delicious and so loyal. The writing in these books captivated me from page one. Book 4 will be out soon and I can hardly wait to get my hands on it. I swear, I had a new book boyfriend with each hero. I wanted to really know these characters.

2. Radiant Surrender by Kennedy Layne. CSA series book #6

I have loved this heart stopping series since the first book. I held my breath when I finally had Gavin Crest's book in my hands. Getting glimpses of him in past books was enough to make me go insane with wanting his story. Ms. Layne didn't disappoint. It was worth waiting until book 6. Gavin is everything I love in a hero. Totally arrogant and panty wetting sexy! In my opinion, you should start from the beginning of the series. You won't be sorry about going on this fantastic journey with the crew from CSA!

3. Ella Sheridan's Southern Nights Series
    Teach Me
    Trust Me
    Take Me

Stumbling upon Ella's books was like hitting the jackpot! I picked up Teach Me and was hooked! The characters from this series are so likeable. The suspense aspect in these books was perfectly balanced in that it didn't take away from the romance. This is a must for me. Ella Sheridan's writing style is one that makes me want to forget the outside world. I can curl up with her books and find a place that's just for me. I don't have to share it with anyone.

4. Only For the Weekend by Ella Sheridan

This book is a novella from Ms. Sheridan's new series, If Only. It may be a novella, but it packed a punch! I absolutely adored, Vincent! The banter in this book made me laugh out loud. I gobbled it up in one sitting. This book was just plain fun to read!

5. Call on Me by Roni Loren. Loving on the Edge series book # 8

Hot damn! This book rang all of my bells! Seriously, the sex scenes in this book were crazy hot. The writing was phenomenal, it always is with Roni! But this book is probably my favourite of hers to date. Pike and Oakley were opposites in most ways but the chemistry between them is combustible. I was hooked from the moment, Pike walked onto the page. This book is part of her, Loving on the Edge series. It can be read as a stand alone. But why miss out on all the other super yummy reads in this series? Read them all!

6. Dare to Rock by Carly Phillips. Dare to Love series book # 7

Let me start by saying, you need to read this whole series! Your life will be better for it. I loved them all, but Dare to Rock was my absolute favourite. Grey Kingston is a rock god and totally made me swoon. He went after Avery with everything he had. Of course, she was no match for this hottie. I love a book where the hero and heroine find their way back to each other after a few years apart. This book gave me the angst I like and sexiness that I love!

7. Master No by Lexi Blake. Masters and Mercenaries book # 9

Finally, we get the elusive Tennessee Smith's story! It was long awaited and so damn worth it! This book made me ugly cry. Big snotty nosed tears...hiccup inducing even! After getting glimpses into the ghost like character that is Ten, we finally get to see inside his heart! He was everything I wanted/expected and more! I loved the heroine in this book. Faith McDonald is so strong and smart. This makes her gift of submission that much more sweet! This whole series is fabulous. Fast paced and heart stopping sexy; everything that keeps me totally engaged is in this series.

8. Sultry Groove by Eden Summers. Reckless Beat book # 4

I can't enough of my Reckless Beat boys! These characters are so funny when they get together and start bullshitting. They are rock stars with the world at their feet. But when that one woman comes into their lives, they are brought to their knees. Melody Jenkins is everything that Sean Taiden never knew he wanted. He's nursing a broken heart and she's battling her own set of demons and insecurities. You could feel the sensual chemistry all through this book. It's smokin' hot sexy and it made my heart flutter! As with most of my favourite series, I recommend you start from the beginning. Not because you won't be able to follow along, but because the books are all incredible!

9. Rock Redemption by Nalini Singh. Rock Kiss Series book # 4

This book incited so many emotions in me. I loved this book. But I also struggled with it. Does that make sense? I feel like I went on this heart wrenching journey with Noah and Kit. It seriously put me through on an emotional roller coaster! That's a sign of some seriously great writing. I loved and hated the characters throughout the book. They were written in a way that I could believe the reactions and behaviours were real. So, my feelings towards them weren't always welcomed, but they were real also. Ya, even many months later, I still can't adequately put my thoughts down. This book left me shaken. But I don't regret or wouldn't have missed this journey for anything!

10. Coveted by Alannah Lynne. Pandora's Playground Series book # 1

This book gutted me. Muriel and Matthew have both had their hearts shattered because they lost someone they loved. There is a scene in this book, where Matthew is begging for Muriel to see him, to really look at him and know that he's the one holding her and not her dead husband. Even thinking about it now, it hurts my heart. I was completely shattered. The journey these two go on is equally heart breaking and so breathtakingly beautiful that I never wanted it to end. Sometimes even in your worst pain and desolation, you can find beauty and peace again. Ms. Lynne tore my heart apart and pieced it back together page by page. 

11. The Players Club series by Erika Wilde
      Playing With Temptation 
      Playing With Pleasure
      Playing With Seduction

Sometimes when I recommend books, I just blurt out " you need to read this ", because there's no simpler way to put it. Or it's because I'm struggling to find the words to say how much I loved it. This entire series...you need to read it! Likeable characters, sheet yoga that will make your toes curl, and solid writing that keeps me coming back for more. So ya, you need to read this series!

12. Claimed by Elle Kennedy. Outlaws Series book # 1

I love, love, love post apocalyptic books! I like to see how people are surviving and thriving after a catastrophic event. Morbid? Meh! This book is so sexy! There was a moment, when the hero and heroine go to a whore house, that I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book. This particular moment borders on a hard limit for me. But alas, it didn't push me over the edge and I was hooked! Finding love when the world has so clearly fallen apart isn't an easy thing for Connor and Hudson, but they fought for it. Connor, of course, was kicking and screaming the whole way, but once he fell, he fell hard! I can't wait for book 2!

13. Lead by Kylie Scott. Stage Dive series book # 3

Let me start by saying, I don't read first person POV. But after my arm was twisted by a friend to try this series, I took a deep breath and dived in. While I enjoyed all the books in this series, Jimmy's book was, in my opinion, the best! I love a brooding and damaged hero. He isn't perfect and doesn't apologize for that. Lena loves him and knows that can only lead to heartbreak. But the heart doesn't always listen to the mind. This book was a journey for Jimmy. He was struggling with sobriety and his budding feelings for his personal assistant. I adored the realness in Jimmy's character. He's a recovering addict and writing that in a way so the reader still falls in love with the character can't be an easy thing. While I wish the book was written in third person POV, and that I got the hero's POV as well, I truly enjoyed it! 

14. The Strongest Steel by Scarlett Cole. A Second Circle Tattoo series book # 1

I stumbled across this book last week. Ms. Cole is a new to me author. And I struggle with trying new authors, I'm crazy picky about what I read. I know what I like. But sweet baby Jesus, this author freakin' brought me to my knees! I loved every moment with Trent and Harper. The emotions in this book were raw, right from the angsty serious stuff to the sexy times. My heart was torn apart and it was sometimes hard to read what Harper had been through. But the journey to her healing was an awesome thing to witness. I'll leave it that. I have a full review coming up on the blog shortly.

15. Ink and Chrome series by Lauren Dane
      Opening Up
      Falling Under
      Coming Back

This authors brilliant writing never ceases to amaze me. Her books drag me under and I don't come up for air until the last page! The Ink and Chrome series is no exception. This series is centred around three friends who own a custom bike/car shop. Each hero is uber alpha and so damn sexy, my heart swooned constantly. The heroines are feisty, strong willed, and no match for the walking sex on legs that is Asa, Duke, and Mick. Lauren Dane writes loyal and likeable characters. I love when she puts out a new family saga or a series about a group of friends! I need to give a shout to the cover artist of these books. Seriously, they are freakin' works of art! Not only did I have them in ebook format, I needed those pretties in print for my keeper shelf too! My recommendation? Read everything Lauren Dane has written. I'm that serious! 

16. Hurley Boys series by Lauren Dane
      The Best Kind of Trouble
      Broken Open
      Back to You

I'd also like to give a shout out to her Hurley Boys series! Yummy rock stars who are flawed but you can't help but love them anyways! These books are crazy sexy! Hell, Lauren Dane can write about the weather and make your heart flutter! I seriously mourned when this series ended. It was like saying goodbye to a beloved friend!

I'm going to stop here. I could go on about my cherished books forever. There are so many incredible authors and novels out there. These are just a few that particularly resonated with me. But seriously...there are truly dozens and dozens more! Reading isn't just a hobby for me, it's a passion. I'm honoured to open these treasures and enter a new world that an awesome author has poured their heart and souls into. Again, these books aren't in any particular order. I love them all so much! I hope this list has given you a few titles that you'll want to look up and discover these characters and their journeys to a happily ever after.


No comments: