Sunday, November 08, 2015

ROCK ME TWO TIMES

A partnership with the hottest new rock band, Toxsin, is a major opportunity for Kate's small custom leather shop, but she's determined to resist her burning attraction to the lead guitarist, Syon Braden. Sex is a commodity in his world, and that's just not enough for her. Or so she thought.

With the multiplatinum success of his band, Syon thought he had everything he'd ever wanted…and then he met Kate. He knows that sleeping with her could distract him from his music and even interfere with his close bandmate friendships, but despite all this, Syon just can't seem to keep his mind—or hands—off of her…

Release date: November 3, 2015
Rock Band series book 1
Sourcebooks Casablanca
Review copy provided by the publisher 

Nikki’s review:

I love a good rock star romance! It may be one of my favourite tropes. Sexy Rock God with tons of tattoos and enough bad boy swagger to make you drool! I was looking forward to digging into this one. 

Kate is uber talented with a needle and thread and some butter smooth leather. She's sought out by the biker community for their riding clothes. When she's given the opportunity to go on tour with Toxsin, and be the head leather costume designer, she's less than excited. She doesn't squeal over Rock Stars or their fame and money. But that doesn't mean she's immune to Syon, the bands lead singer. 

I had a hard time liking Kate and Syon. She was stubborn and had a "Debbie downer" like attitude. Syon had moments where I could have fallen for him, but his jerkiness seems to always take front and centre. He wants her ferociously but his mouth keeps me from really liking him. He's snippy with the heroine. I was frustrated that she didn't have a come to Jesus talk with him. 

Slowly they start to open up to each other and find some comfort, both emotionally and physically. But there's all this outside crap that keeps interfering. The bands manager is less than impressed with the budding relationship and basically sets the heroine up failure. Now this, this is where I really got angry. The manager and some of the crew are horrible to Kate. At one point, a roadie was jabbing his finger in accusation into her chests. Like actually poking hard! And no one sticks up for her! No one! The response from Syon is that she has to understand that his job is hard. Really now?! 

I was intrigued by the other band members. There's been some set up for interesting plots for a few of them. They were likeable enough. Enough that'll I likely read book 2. 

Syon redeems himself from forever being a douche in my mind towards the end. After evidence that can't be ignored that the manager has been awful to Kate, comes to light, he gets his act together. I guess the thing that I struggled with the most, was that I didn't connect with any of the characters. There was a lot of unlikeable people in this book...including the hero and heroine.

The love scenes were yummy. The dance floor bit was heart fluttering worthy. Kate and Syon were definitely in sync in the sack!

Bottom line...I'll read book 2. While I didn't care much for Kate and Syon, I really liked the other band members.


No comments: