Friday, July 25, 2014

Poison Promise

In book eleven of her New York Times bestselling Elemental Assassin series, author Jennifer Estep continues “one of the best urban fantasy series going on the market” (Fresh Fiction).

Gin Blanco is hard-nosed, sexy, and lethal. Nicknamed “The Spider,” she’s a stone elemental assassin who brings her unique mix of magic and tact to every assignment, no matter the target.

There’s a new drug on the streets of Ashland, and its name “Burn” sums up the potent effect it has on its users. When one of her restaurant employees is threatened by dealers of the drug, Gin steps in to set things straight…

Release date July 22, 2014 Pocket Books 

Poison Promise Description

I specialize in making death wishes come true.

Pop quiz. Which do you think is deadlier: Burn, the nastiest drug ever to hit the mean streets of Ashland, or me, Gin Blanco, the assassin known as the Spider? Answer: Me—because I don’t kill you slowly.

Normally, drug dealers aren’t my department. But I’m turning up the heat on some relentless Burn-pushing thugs who won’t leave my friends alone. Pushers who have my cop sister beside herself with rage, so I’m stepping up to keep her from doing something stupid and getting herself killed. Once I’m in, I’m in, and these folks have picked their poison: the Spider’s venom. But even bad guys have their good days, and sometimes even my Ice and Stone magic isn’t enough. For behind the drug is a vicious vampire with a scientific eye for results. And behind him… trouble like I haven’t seen since I took down my legendary nemesis, Mab Monroe.

I'm a huge fan of Jennifer Estep and love her Elemental Assassin series so much! Gin Blanco is one of my favorite characters ever and I was super excited to get a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss.

I love getting to spend time with Gin and her "family". Gin is just as snarky as ever in this book, and just as strong-willed as ever.  In Poison Promise, Gin is up against a drug dealer who sells "Burn". I loved we learned more about Gin in this book. She's gotten revenge for the murder of her family and really just wants to run the Pork Pit, yet continues to have to act as "The Spider" to protect not only her family, but her friends and co-workers. 

I'm a huge fan of Gin and her family. I especially love Jo-Jo and Sophia, Owen, Bria and Finn. Finnegan Lane is probably the funniest character in this series. He says some of the best one-liners ever. I will say I was a little put out by Bria in this book, and hated how it took her seeing Gin in danger before she saw the light.

I figured out who the mysterious auburn haired woman was from the very beginning, though she still revealed a few secrets to both the reader and Gin in the end.

Poison Promise is the 11th book in the Elemental Assassin series and to really understand all that has lead to this book, you really need to read all the books in the series in order. Jennifer Estep is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy authors ever and I think this series just gets better with each book.


1 comment:

Jen Twimom said...

Nice review! I really loved this one and love Gin and her extended family. I can't wait to start the audiobooks (soon) and catch up on the books I missed!