Monday, August 01, 2011

Sweet Tea & Secrets


Sweet Tea & Secrets is the first book in the Adams Grove series by Nancy Naigle. From the back cover.~

Adams Grove is mourning the loss of Pearl Clemmons, know for her award-winning chocolate pecan pie and the best unsolicited advice in the county.

When Jill returns to settle her grandmother’s estate, she’s greeted by a Clydesdale-sized guardian dog who doesn’t seem to be earning his stripes (although he drools on them pretty well), and Garrett Mallory, the ex-fiancĂ© she left behind a year ago.

Jill insists on staying at Pearl’s amidst a string of break-ins that have sleepy Adams Grove wide awake and locking its doors. Jill’s past with Garrett becomes the least of her worries when she learns that their lives are in danger. She is the only person standing between a desperate conman and a secret from Pearl’s past.

Will Pearl’s past kill any chance of Jill and Garrett’s future together?

I met Nancy at the Lori Foster get together at the beginning of June. After spending time with Nancy and reading the back cover of Sweet Tea & Secrets, I knew I wanted to give this book a try. The story opens with Jill coming home for Pearl’s surprise birthday party, so we do get a glimpse of Pearl before she passes away. She was one feisty lady and I grieved with Jill and everyone else in Adams Grove at her passing.

I loved both Jill and Garrett. Both are really strong characters, even if Jill stumbles a bit before she realizes how strong she is. I also loved Pearl’s dog Clyde. There is just something about a huge drooling dog that always puts a smile on my face. I loved all the townspeople from Adams Grove. Kind of made me think of the small town I’m originally from. The only character I really didn’t like was Bradley, Jill’s new boyfriend. Something seemed off about him from the beginning.

I really enjoyed Sweet Tea & Secrets. You could feel the tension between Jill and Garrett from the very first time they appear together. I loved watching their romance rekindle as they worked together to solve the mystery of Pearl’s past. I did figure out something was off with Bradley from the start, but exactly what was off was a surprise to me. If you are looking for a sweet and fun mystery/romance, Sweet Tea & Secrets is the perfect read.

2 comments:

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I have this on my kindle after meeting her at Lori Fosters also. I'm glad you liked it. I will have to move this one up in the pile.

Nancy Naigle said...

I had so much fun chatting with you at the Lori Foster Conference.

Thanks for spending your time with the residents of Adams Grove in Sweet Tea and Secrets. It's my debut novel. You can't imagine how exciting it is to know that you enjoyed the escape!

The second in this series comes out in November. In OUT OF FOCUS, a mother gets snagged in a web of friendship and betrayal while desperately searching for her missing son. Thank goodness the kind folks of Adams Grove will be there to help her.

Hugs and happy reading,
Nancy