Wednesday, August 31, 2016

UNRAVELED (ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN #15)

After the shocking revelations of the previous book, Bitter Bite, the world of Ashland’s become even more sinister, and Gin Blanco (aka Ashland’s most fearsome assassin, the Spider) no longer knows who—or what—she can count on. Only one thing is for certain: danger and new enemies await Gin in Unraveled, Book 15 in the New York Times bestselling Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series that RT Book Reviews calls “unbeatable entertainment!”



What could go wrong when you’re trying to unravel a decades-old conspiracy?



As the current queen of the Ashland underworld, you would think that I, Gin Blanco, would know all about some secret society controlling things from behind the scenes. I might be the Spider, the city’s most fearsome assassin, but all my Ice and Stone elemental magic hasn’t done me a lick of good in learning more about “the Circle”. Despite my continued investigations, the trail’s gone as cold as the coming winter.

So when Finnegan Lane, my foster brother, gets word of a surprising inheritance, we figure why not skip town for someplace less dangerous for a few days? That place: Bullet Pointe, a fancy hotel resort complex plus Old West theme park that Finn now owns lock, stock, and barrel. At first, all the struttin’ cowboys and sassy saloon girls are just hokey fun. But add in some shady coincidences and Circle assassins lurking all around, and vacationing becomes wilder—and deadlier—than any of us expected.

Good thing this assassin brought plenty of knives to the gunfight … 

Release date: August 30, 2016
Pocket Books
Elemental Assassin #15
Urban Fantasy
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

I countdown between each Elemental Assassin books as it comes out and then devour each one like there is no tomorrow, only to have to wait another 6 months for my next fix. Jennifer Estep has had me hooked on this series since the first book and I love each new adventure with Gin and her friends and family.

I liked that we took a little vacation from Ashland for Unraveled. With everything that happened with Finn's mom, I felt like they all needed a little bit of a break from the normal battles with the underground world of Ashland. I will say I missed seeing JoJo and Sophia, but loved getting more time with Silvio, Lorelei, and Phillip.

I have to say I loved the trip to Bullet Pointe to the Old West theme park Finn had inherited from his mother. It was so completely cheesy and over the top and I could totally see Deidre's hand in some of the changes that had been made in the hotel. Gin is hoping to find out more about The Circle while in Bullet Pointe and Finn is hoping to find something genuine about his mother while there. While Roxy and Brody are your typical bad guys from the series, I have to say that Hugh Tucker is keeping me guessing and I'm loving the mystery of The Circle and watching Gin unravel each of the strings to learn more and more about The Circle. I loved that Gin's memories once again helped her solve her current problem. However, we actually got to see her interact with her mom and sisters and it is very rare for Gin to have dreams about her family. 

I loved the battle between Gin and Roxy and Brody. Since Roxy and Brody had taken Finn, Owen and Bria hostage, Gin was pretty much on her own in the fight and pulled it off in true Spider style. Of course she had new back up with Silvio, Lorelei, and Phillip, but Gin took care of most of the bad guys in her own way. I have to say I felt a little bit like Gin was going a bit old-school with her battle plan to take out Roxy and Brody and I love how her mind works. 

I found Unraveled to be a story that kept my attention from the very first page and I honestly didn't want to put the book down. Again, while I missed time with Jo-Jo and Sophia, I love getting to spend time with other secondary characters, who are becoming new favorite characters for me. I also have to say the mystery of The Circle and all Gin learned in Unraveled have me chomping at the bit for the next book in this series. Luckily, we only have to wait until April 2017 for the next fix in the Elemental Assassin series with Snared.

Rating: 4 stars (A-)


No comments: