Saturday, August 01, 2015

PLAYING WITH TROUBLE (CAPITAL CONFESSIONS #2)

The author of Flirting with Scandal presents her second book in a sexy contemporary romance series about three sisters in a powerful political family, the scandals that threaten to destroy them, and the passion that drives them…

The daughter of one of the Senate's most powerful figures, Blair Reynolds was ready to become the ultimate political wife—until she caught her fiancĂ© cheating on her wedding day. Law school is a fresh start, her shot at putting the pieces of her life back together. That’s the plan, at least. Until trouble comes in the form of her Torts professor, the man whose arrogance infuriates her in class but haunts her private fantasies. 

Graydon Canter had a fortune and a place on all the hottest "Thirty under Thirty” lists, until a series of personal missteps nearly destroyed his career. A year teaching at a D.C. law school is just the break he needs to get his life back in order, as long as nothing—and no one—trips him up.

When Blair and Gray are forced to work together, their explosive attraction becomes impossible to resist. But Gray’s demons have drawn him dangerously close to the edge, and Blair has spent her life playing by the rules. Will she break them for a shot at love?

Release Date: July 21, 2015
Penguin Intermix
Capital Confessions #2
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza’s Review:

Playing with Trouble was another winner in the Capital Confession series for me. I don't always love the professor and student romance troupe, but it totally worked for me with Playing with Trouble. I honestly think it worked better for me because it was between a law professor and a law student rather than just a college student and a professor.

I really loved Blair from the very beginning. I felt like there was way more to her than what she saw in herself thanks to her parents running her life for so long. I almost felt like Blair wouldn't have tried to make changes to her life if her half-sister Jackie hadn't been discovered. I loved that Blair and Jackie started trying to work on a relationship from the moment Blair found out about Jackie. 

Graydon was harder for me to like in the beginning. He really had a chip on his shoulder in the beginning, and while he was attracted to Blair, he also liked to pick on her in class by always calling on her. I did love that Blair decided to go to law school to figure out her life, and I honestly think the more time she spends with Gray, the more she realizes the direction her life should take. Gray also changed the more time he spent with Blair. He really came off as a bit of an ass in the beginning, but it seemed like he let some of his past go each day he was around Blair. I really loved the chemistry between Gray and Blair. I also loved they both really tried to fight the attraction since Gray was Blair's professor and they both could get in trouble if their relationship was revealed. 

I loved that Blair stepped back from her parents and the election while she was in law school. For the first time in her life, Blair made her choices a priority. I also enjoyed the time we got to spend with all 3 sisters together. Blair, Jackie, and Kate have a long way to go to be real sisters, but I could already tell that Blair and Jackie were well on their way. 

The Capital Confessions Blog was more front and center in the first book, Flirting with Scandal, than in Playing with Trouble. The Capital Confessions Blog went after Blair, Jackie, and Kate's dad, Senator Reynolds pretty much the entire book. I thought I knew who was feeding the blog at that point, and knew I was right once Blair's personal life became front and center.

Playing with Trouble was a great story. I really enjoyed the growth of both Gray and Blair over the course of the story. I've really enjoyed the first 2 books in the Capital Confession series and can't wait to read Falling for Danger, which is releasing on September 15, 2015.


No comments: