Thursday, August 01, 2013

Second Chance at Happiness


Second Chance at Happiness is the 2nd book in the Holiday, Vermont series from author Heather Lire. The release date is August 1, 2013 and the publisher is Desert Breeze Publishing. From the back cover.~

When Colin MacCaffe's personal life comes crashing down around him, he leaves the big city behind for a fresh start in the small town of Holiday Vermont. As the Deputy Chief of Police he spends his time making sure the town he's come to call his own is safe. The only problem in his peaceful life is the arrival of his next door neighbor's sister. A woman who threatens to destroy the peace of his new life.

After years of putting one foot in front of the other, acting like she was fine for her family Brynn Sanderson - Jackson is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. All she wants is a couple of weeks of rest and relaxation while she house sits for her sister. What she gets instead is a trip to the hospital, emergency surgery, and the neighbor next door. A man who makes her feel more than she wants to.

Can these two put their past heartaches behind them, and go after the happiness they've always wanted and thought was forever lost to them?

I was lucky enough to get a review copy early from the author. I fell in love with the Holiday, Vermont series with the very first book and couldn't wait to get my hands on Colin and Brynn's book.
 
I fell pretty hard for Colin from the moment we met him. The fact that he helps save Brynn's life only makes him a better hero and more lovable. I loved how Colin and Brynn would bicker and pick on one another, even as the chemistry between them was building. They had amazing chemistry, which couldn't be acted upon for much of the book because of Brynn's surgery. Neither Brynn nor Colin are looking for love when they come to Holiday, Vermont, but they each find their other half while there. Both have baggage from past relationships, Brynn whose husband was in Colin's unit, and Colin with his lying, cheating ex-wife. I loved that Colin totally accepted that Jax would always be in Brynn's heart since he was her first love, yet didn't feel like she didn't love him just as much. Brynn, much like her sister Morgan is super protective of those she loves and I loved how she stood up to Colin's sisters when they were treating him badly.
 
I have to say growing up in a small town; I'm just as much in love with Holiday,Vermont as I am the characters that live there. I really feel like the town is another character in the story. I love small-town romances and feel that Ms. Lire does a great job with the town she has created. I’m already counting down until my next visit to Holiday, Vermont.

No comments: