Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Mistress


The Mistress is the 4th book in the Original Sinners series from author Tiffany Reisz. The publisher is Harlequin MIRA and the release date is set for July 30, 2013. From the back cover.~

There's punishment—and then there's vengeance. 

Nora Sutherlin is in handcuffs, held captive by two men. Under different circumstances, she would enjoy the situation immensely, but her captors aren't interested in play. Or pity. 

As the reality of her impending peril unfolds, Nora becomes Scheherazade, buying each hour of her life with stories—sensual tales of Søren, Kingsley and Wesley, each of whom has tempted and tested and tortured her in his own way. This, Nora realizes, is her life: nothing so simple, so vanilla, as a mere love triangle for her. It's a knot in a silken cord, a tangled mass of longings of the body and the heart and the mind. And it may unravel at any moment. 

But in Nora's world, no one is ever truly powerless—a cadre of her friends, protectors and lovers stands ready to do anything to save her, even when the only certainty seems to be sacrifice and heartbreak….

I have mad love for the Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz. I was lucky enough to be approved by the publisher for a review copy of The Mistress from NetGalley. I can only say that I stopped reading all the other books in my currently reading stack to read The Mistress as soon as it appeared on my kindle. I will say this series has to be read in order. Each book builds off the others in the series, so if you haven't read The Siren, The Angel, and The Prince, go ahead and buy and read them now before reading The Mistress.
 
There was so much going on in this book, and so much is pivotal to the plot that I really can't reveal too much. I will say that Nora tells stories from the past in much of this book. Some I knew and others were new to me. I actually loved the retelling of the ones I knew from Nora's point of view. We did get to spend time with many of my favorite characters. I was a little bit on Team Wesley when I read The Siren, became Team Søren when I read The Angel, and totally fell for Kingsley in The Prince. I have to say I enjoyed the glimpses of my boys Griffin and Michael in The Mistress. 
 
I fell harder than I had before as Søren revealed more about himself in his talks with Grace. I'd never really thought too much of Grace since The Siren, but found myself liking her more as the book went along. While I didn't immediately get some of the choice her character made on my first read, I could totally understand her choices on my second reading. 
 
BTW, the person who has taken Nora is crazy as a loon. I was able to figure out who was behind everything about half way through The Prince. It was refreshing to see this individual was just as crazy as I had expected throughout The Mistress. While I don't necessarily understand everything about the lifestyle Nora, Kingsley, and Søren have chosen, I see nothing wrong with the lifestyle. Nora's captor was completely and totally outraged and prudish about their lifestyle choices.

I talked with many of my friends after we all read this book and everyone had their own thoughts on the mind-f*ck at the end of the book. Again, had to read parts twice to see everything and then I knew the book could end no other way. Each of the characters ended up where they needed to be at this time. I really loved how Ms. Reisz wrapped everything up perfectly, at least in my opinion.
 
I realize this review is extremely vague, but as with all of Ms. Reisz's books, so much goes on, you can't share too much without giving something major away. I loved this book and as long as you have read the other books in the series first, I say go forth and buy and read The Mistress. I personally am already counting down until the next 4 books come out in the series. So excited to watch the journey Nora and Søren take from the moment they meet.
 

No comments: