Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lucky Streak


Lucky Streak is the second book in Carly Phillips’ Corwin Curse series. From the back cover.~

Long ago, a witch proclaimed an eternal curse that every Corwin male who married for love would be destined to lose his woman and his fortune…

When Mike Corwin awakens after some wild partying in Vegas $100,000 richer and married to Amber, the gorgeous woman he met the night before, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot. The bad news is that Amber’s a con who takes his money and runs. Seems the family curse has finally hit him. Hard.

But to Amber, Mike isn’t business as usual. If only she didn’t need the money to ensure her father’s safety, she might actually have fallen for the intense lawman. Instead, she’s forced to betray him.

Now Mike’s hell-bent on divorce and Amber’s on the run…but when a twist of fate reunites them, can they turn their run of bad fortune into a lucky streak?

Carly Phillips is one of my favorite contemporary romance authors. She is an auto-buy author for me and all of her books are on my keeper shelf. Carly delivers another winner with Lucky Streak. I really loved Lucky Charm, the first book in the Corwin Curse series, but loved Mike’s and Amber’s story even more.

Mike, understandably is pretty pissed off at Amber when he wakes the morning after they get married to discover she is gone and took his $150,000 in Vegas winnings with her. Unknown to him, she only took the money to save her dad. However, being a lawman, he really looks at life in a pretty black and white way. Amber shows up on Mike’s doorstep and they soon realize she needs his help to stay safe. Although, Mike is still angry at Amber and really doesn’t trust her, he can’t fight his attraction to her. Mike and Amber are so hot together. Mike decides the best way to keep her safe is to take her to his dad’s house in his hometown. Of course, Mike’s dad doesn’t really like change and is obsessed with the Corwin Curse. Edward Corwin is one of the funniest characters I’ve ever seen in a book. He made me laugh out loud many times. I really loved Amber and think she was my favorite character in the book. She is such a strong woman and will do anything to help out those people she loves. Mike will also do anything for the people he loves, he is just much more guarded about his feelings.

I really loved Lucky Streak and have Lucky Break, the final book in the Corwin Curse series in my TBR pile. I read so many different genres of romance, I forget how much I enjoy contemporary stories until I find a great one. Lucky Streak definitely counts as one of the great ones in my opinion.

No comments: