Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Latest medical update

So I had to go back to see my medical oncologist today (or at least her fellow) because of the side effects I was having on the tamoxifen. Most people have hot flashes while taking tamoxifen, which I think comes from the fact that tamoxifen is an estrogen blocker. I never had hot flashes, and because of another medication I'm currently taking, the doctor really wasn't sure what my side effects would be.

Well, it turns out I'm not willing to live with the side effects that stem from me taking tamoxifen. Since I was only taking the tamoxifen as a preventative medicine, and I have none of the genetic markers for breast cancer, I'm coming off the medicine and just seeing the doctor every 6 months. As the wait to see this doctor is usually over 2 hours, from your appointment time, I'm really hoping I don't have to go back more than once or twice. Still will have to get the diagnostic mammograms every six months and see my breast surgeon until I have 2 clean mammograms back to back. I feel good about this decision, especially since I was never that excited about going on the tamoxifen. My feelings about the medicine was further justified when my doctor told me today that some of the cancer patients have some of the same problems I was having while taking tamoxifen.

On a fun note, I will be posting about the last 2 books I read no later than this weekend. First up will be Cold Sight by Leslie Parrish. I read an ARC and the release date is July 7. I also just finished reading Nightkeepers by Jessica Andersen last night. This books has been out for some time, and in my TBR pile for about as long.

2 comments:

Paula R said...

That's great news Liza. Tough decision, but one you were able to make. My mom struggled on Tamoxifen too. I am gonna give you a call later tonight. I will be out most of the day. Have a great one okay.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts about Nightkeepers. I really hope you have the next one, Dawnkeepers, in your TBR pile as well. Um, I loved each book more and more as they came out. Right now my fave is Skykeepers...Nate is just...indescribable. though Demonkeepers runs a close second. Lucius and Jade are great characters.

Peace and love,
Paula R.

mslizalou said...

I'll be home tonight. I really loved Nightkeepers. I do have the next 2 in the series in my TBR pile. Need to read a couple of other books in my TBR pile first.