Friday, April 23, 2021

FAUX PAWS: THE DOGMOTHERS #8


At a personal and career crossroads he never expected, Navy nuclear engineer Theo Santorini faces the fact that his once charmed existence isn’t so charmed anymore. Then, on a cross country trip, he saves a desperate and abused dog, hoping he can turn around both their lives. When he arrives at Waterford Farm in North Carolina with his rescue, Clementine, Theo’s matchmaking grandmother and her best friend immediately launch a plan to help both man and dog. Theo doesn’t hate their idea of getting an assist from a beautiful, enigmatic “pet psychic” while he figures out his next move. But the woman’s preposterous claims that she can read an animal’s mind seriously test an engineer who lives for logic and flees from feelings.


After bolting from the church when she learned the groom waiting at the altar had cheated on her, Ayla Hollis can now add “runaway bride” to her short resume. But this perennial people-pleaser has broken free from her stifling upbringing and is finally ready to begin a new life. She’ll start by openly admitting to the world that she has a gift that might seem bizarre to some, but she can help animals, and in a town that loves dogs, that makes her a local hero. Her first “patient” is an emotionally damaged stray dog held in the strong arms of a handsome, but skeptical, owner. Ayla soon finds it can be much easier to understand an animal’s feelings than those of a man who refuses to believe her abilities are real.


As Theo and Ayla work together to help Clementine heal, they can’t deny one thing is real: their sizzling chemistry that quickly grows to feelings of forever. But before the Dogmothers can claim another successful match, Ayla’s psychic skills thrust her into a perilous spotlight that threatens everything. With their love on the line and a dog’s life in the balance, Ayla’s gift could save them all…but only if Theo will finally risk his heart and believe.


Many of the covers of The Dogmothers were all photographed at Alaqua Animal Refuge in Florida using rescue dogs from the shelter, and "local heroes" as models. A portion of book sales is donated to that amazing organization! 


Release Date: April 23, 2021

South Street Publishing

The Dogmothers #8

Contemporary Romance

Review copy provided by publisher


Liza's Review:


Roxanne St. Claire has given her readers an absolutely amazing and emotionally satisfying story with Faux Paws, the next installment in her wonderful Dogmothers series. Just when I think the last book in a series will be my favorite, I read the newest release, and it becomes my new favorite Roxanne St. Claire book.  I'm going to be honest right now and say have tissues ready as you read this story, and be ready to savor each and every moment of this story. 


Faux Paws centers around Theo Santorini, Ayla Hollis, and the most precious rescue dog Clementine, with a healthy dose of Gramma Finnie and Yiayia using the matchmaking skills they seem to improve upon with each new installment. I loved that both Theo and Ayla ended up in Bitter Bark, NC when they were each at a crossroads in their life and of course Clementine is just the rescue dog to bring them together. 


I adored both Theo and Ayla from the moment they each appeared on the page. While my heart broke a little for each of them coming out of relationships where their respective exes has cheated on them, I also felt like it made them each more receptive to the instant attraction they felt for one another. Ayla is absolutely one of my favorite characters ever written by Ms. St. Claire. She has had enough of trying to be what others want her to be and is ready to spread her wings and be completely true to herself. I loved that coming to Bitter Bark seemed to give her the courage to stand up for herself and her talent for being about to communicate with animals. Seriously, could there be a cooler talent than knowing what you pet is feeling at any given moment?!?!


Theo is a nuclear engineer, so he is an extremely analytical thinker. The fact that he is insanely attracted to Ayla, yet doesn't believe in her talent even after seeing her work over and over again with pet owners and their pets, hurt me so much for Ayla.  Even when she has all the right answers about Clementine and her fears, Theo keeps looking for a logical answer for how Ayla knows so much about not only Clementine, but the other animals as well.  Honestly as much as I adored Theo, I kind of wanted to smack him in the back of the head to help him see the truth right in front of his eyes. 


Theo's and Ayla's path to happily ever after had many twists and turns along the way, but it only made me love their story more.  I loved every moment of the roller coaster ride Roxanne St. Claire took her readers on in Faux Paws. I love with each new installment, I get to spend time with new characters and dogs to love, as well as all the family I've fallen in love with over the course of the Dogfather/Dogmothers books. While I myself have read all the books in the series in order, I feel like readers who love funny, sweet, and sexy contemporary romances, can pick up any book in the series and become hooked. Faux Paws was the perfect story that gave me all the feels as I read it the first time, and I know it is a story I will read over and over again. 



Rating: 5 Stars (A+)


BUY LINKS

2 comments:

Sue G. said...

Nice review. I'm married to a guy like Theo so I get it and your desire to smack him makes perfect sense! They have a hard time with anything unquantifiable. LOL

mslizalou said...

Even as it drove me crazy, I knew it was part of the reason I loved him at the same time. lol