Wednesday, April 29, 2020

THE ART OF THEFT (LADY SHERLOCK #4)

As "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective," Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with the secrets hidden behind a much-coveted canvas.

But Mrs. Watson is desperate to help her old friend recover those secrets and Charlotte finds herself involved in a fever-paced scheme to infiltrate a glamorous Yuletide ball where the painting is one handshake away from being sold and the secrets a bare breath from exposure.

Her dear friend Lord Ingram, her sister Livia, Livia's admirer Stephen Marbleton—everyone pitches in to help and everyone has a grand time. But nothing about this adventure is what it seems and disaster is biding time on the grounds of a glittering French chateau, waiting only for Charlotte to make a single mistake... 

Release Date: October 15, 2019
Berkley
Lady Sherlock #4
Historical Mystery
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's review:

I absolutely adore the Lady Sherlock series from Sherry Thomas. The Art of Theft is the latest release in the series, and it was every bit as wonderful as I was expecting. I love spending time with this cast of characters, and love even more it grew a bit with this installment. As The Art of Theft picks up where the last installment left off, it is best to read the books in this series in order.

I love the way Charlotte's mind works. I'm always at least 3 steps behind her in figuring out what is going on in every single book. Ms. Thomas has written a character with such depth in Charlotte, that she keeps me guessing with each new installment. I have to say I did love learning more about Mrs. Watson's past along the way in this book. She seems to reveal just a bit more about her past to Charlotte with every book. The fact that Charlotte's sister Livia is the one telling each new tale to the readers have me loving her more with each new book. She is much quieter than Charlotte in every way, yet I feel like she is starting to come into her own the more time she spends with Charlotte and Mrs. Watson. I absolutely adored the time with Lord Ingram (Ash) and continue to want Charlotte and Ash to be more. 

There were so many twists and turns in The Art of Theft I was even more off my game in figuring out the mystery than I normally am with this series, and I absolutely loved it kept me guessing. I find myself loving this series more and more with each new installment. The Lady Sherlock series has become one of my favorite series in the historical mystery genre and I anxiously await each new installment.

Rating: 4 Stars (B+)

No comments: