Friday, September 06, 2019

VENDETTA IN DEATH (IN DEATH #49)

The predator becomes the prey in the newest thriller in the #1 New York Times bestselling series featuring homicide detective Eve Dallas.

She calls herself Lady Justice. And once she has chosen a man as her target, she turns herself into a tall blonde or a curvaceous redhead, makes herself as alluring and seductive as possible to them. Once they are in her grasp, they are powerless.

The first victim is wealthy businessman Nigel McEnroy. His company’s human resources department has already paid out settlements to a couple of his young victims—but they don’t know that his crimes go far beyond workplace harassment. Lady Justice knows. And in one shocking night of brutality, she makes him pay a much steeper price.

Now Eve Dallas and her husband, Roarke, are combing through the evidence of McEnroy’s secret life. His compulsive need to record his misdeeds provides them with a wide range of suspects, but the true identity of Lady Justice remains elusive. It’s a challenging case, made even more difficult by McEnroy’s widow, who reacts to the investigation with fury, denial, and threats. Meanwhile, Lady Justice’s criminal crusade is escalating rapidly, and if Eve can’t stop this vigilante, there’s no telling how much blood may be spilled…

Release Date: September 3, 2019
St. Martin's Press
In Death #49
Romantic Suspense
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's review:

Vendetta in Death is the 49th book in the In Death series from JD Robb and I'm every bit as invested in this series today as I was the very first time I read Naked in Death.

Honestly I loved ever moment of Vendetta in Death. I love I can get my Dallas and Roarke fix every 6 months and I literally go without sleep to read each new installment as quickly as possible. I will say I figured out who Lady Justice was extremely early in this book, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the story. I love to see how Eve's mind works as she figures out who the killer is in each new story.  I was totally in sync with Eve on figuring who did it before knowing all the reasoning behind everything.

One of my favorite things about this series is how many friendships Eve has developed over the course of the 49 books. Vendetta in Death we got to see Eve work with Peabody and the rest of the crew, and little updates about the other detectives, which I always love. Mira helping with the profiling, and making sure Eve was handling this case since it dealt with men who both sexual and physically abused women. I love the deep relationship Eve and Mira have now. Special time with Mavis and Bella, and working once again with Nadine gave me happy sighs. Of course, Roarke and Eve working together and being together always is my favorite part of any In Death book. 

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but Vendetta in Death gave me so many happy feels. Yes there were brutal murders in the story, but the mystery was solid and the characters remain as engaging as ever. The In Death series of books remains one of my absolute favorites, and Ms. Robb gave her readers a fabulous story with Vendetta in Death.

Rating: 5 Stars (A)

No comments: