Tuesday, January 15, 2019

SUMMONED TO THIRTEENTH GRAVE (CHARLEY DAVIDSON #13)

Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the final installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series!

Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper extraordinaire, is pissed. She’s been kicked off the earthly plain for eternity – which is the appropriate amount of time to make a person starkraving mad. But someone’s looking out for her, and she’s allowed to return after a mere hundred years in exile. Is it too much to hope for that not much has changed? Apparently it is. Bummer.

She’s missed Reyes and her daughter, Beep, but now that she’s back on earth, it’s time to put to rest burning questions that need answers. What happened to her mother? How did she really die? Who killed her? And are cupcakes or coffee the best medicine? It all comes to a head in an epic showdown between good and evil in this final smart and hilarious novel.

Release Date: January 15, 2019
St. Martin's Press
Charley Davidson #13
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

Summoned to Thirteenth Grave is the final installment in the Charley Davidson series. I strongly suggest you begin this series with First Grave on the Right and read the books in the series in order to fully understand the world Darynda Jones has built. I'll keep this review spoiler free for this book, but it could include information from other books in the series.

Summoned to Thirteenth Grave picks up at a time after the previous book, where Charley was banished from the earthly plain for breaking the biggest rule set by Jehovah. Charley does return to earth just in time to help solve the issue with the demons trying to take over New Mexico, or possibly the rest of the globe. 

I really don't feel like I can say more about the happenings in the book without giving away spoilers. I will say I felt like Ms. Jones wrapped up many of the character's storylines in a satisfying way. I will say I was totally thrown by a few things that we discovered in Summoned to Thirteenth Grave. I also found myself feeling really emotional with a few of the character wrap-ups. I loved seeing Charley and Reyes back together again, and finally felt like both characters had finally grown up a bit. They communicated much better than in past books and I felt like they both had matured. 

While I felt like Ms. Jones did a really great job with the wrap up of this series, I do feel like the climatic fight scene was a bit too easily won. I'm really hopeful that the rumors of a spinoff with Beep are true and we get to spend time with favorite characters again in the future. 

Rating: 4 Stars (B+)


No comments: