Friday, April 06, 2018

THE LAST KING

Title: The Last King
Author:Katee Robert
Genre:Contemporary Romance
Release Date: April 3, 2018
Publisher: Forever
Series: The Kings
Page Count: 336 pages
Format:Digital
ASIN: B074M69QLF
ISBN:978-1455597109

Synopsis: 

THE MAN SHE HATES TO LOVE

Beckett King just inherited his father's fortune, his company-and all his enemies. If he's going to stay on top, he needs someone he can trust beside him. And though they've been rivals for years, there's no one he trusts more than Samara Mallick.

The rebel. That's how Samara has always thought of Beckett. And he's absolutely living up to his unpredictable ways when he strides into her office and asks for help. She can't help wondering if it's a legit request or just a ploy to get her into bed. Not that she'd mind either one. After all, she likes to live on the edge too.

But soon the threats to the King empire are mounting, and the two find family secrets darker than they ever imagined and dangerous enough to get them both killed.

Available at:  


Nikki's Review:

Wowza! This book started off with a bang! I've never read anything by this author before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was reading for about 5 minutes before the hero and heroine were tearing up the sheets. It was crazy hot!

While there is definite chemistry between Beckett and Samara, I found myself quickly getting bored with the back forth. Samara was constantly telling him to piss off, and then climbing his junk in the next breath. It drove me batty. I like a little hard to get, but I didn't find it genuine in this book. 

Beckett sits at the helm of his fathers company. He inherited it after his fathers death. Samara works as the second in command for the rival company, run by his bitter aunt. I can understand Samara being a little standoffish. She values her job and she's worked hard to get to where she is. This provides a lot of conflict between the hero and heroine.

One of the things I appreciated, was the authors ability to make me like Samara. I didn't care much for her at the beginning. She does a lot of growing throughout the book. She becomes warmer as falls in love with Beckett. I found myself relaxing more into the story as this unfolded.

Beckett is just plain ol' yummy! He's a bit of a no nonsense badass. That's one of my favourite types of characters in a romance novel. 

There's a suspense aspect to this book. It was enjoyable, but a little predictable. I liked that it didn't take over the romantic side of the book.

Overall, The Last King was a good book. There's a few secondary characters that have been set up for their own stories. I'll definitely be on the look out for them! 

Rating: 3.5 Stars (B)
Review copy provided by publisher


No comments: