Monday, April 18, 2016

THE OBSESSION

Naomi Bowes lost her innocence the night she followed her father into the woods. In freeing the girl trapped in the root cellar, Naomi revealed the horrible extent of her father’s crimes and made him infamous.

Now a successful photographer living under the name Naomi Carson, she has found a place that calls to her, thousands of miles away from everything she’s ever known. Naomi wants to embrace the solitude, but the residents of Sunrise Cove keep forcing her to open up—especially the determined Xander Keaton.

Naomi can feel her defenses failing, and knows that the connection her new life offers is something she’s always secretly craved. But as she’s learned time and again, her past is never more than a nightmare away. 

Release Date: April 12, 2016
Berkley Penguin Group
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza’s Review:


Naomi is such a strong character. Not only did she discover what her father was doing to women when she was only 11 years old, she actually helped his last victim and reported everything to the police. I absolutely loved her from the very beginning and think getting to see her grow up in the first part of the book gave the reader a better understanding out how the past shaped her present. I absolutely love her uncles and her brother and also think their love was a big part of helping her get past so much of the ugly in her past.

While I thought it was a little out of character for Naomi to put down roots and buy a house that needs to be totally renovated, but I got it would speak to a photographer once I read the description of the area and the town. I loved meeting all the people in Sunrise Cove as well. I absolutely fell in love with Kevin and Jenny and have to say Xander was the perfect hero. Not only is he a successful business owner, but he loves to read, is friends with everyone in town, rides a motorcycle, and is in a rock band. Seriously over the top with him, but I loved him. I liked that Naomi and Xander were attracted to one another from the very beginning, but she was flat out honest about not doing relationships.  I liked watching their relationship move from friends to an honest to goodness relationship. They had amazing chemistry and they totally worked as a couple for me.

Of course, Naomi's past never is far behind and murders start happening in Sunrise Cove. While I hated the reason, I loved that Naomi's brother Mason, who is an FBI agent, came to town I have serious love for Mason and would love to see him get his own book. I did figure out who was behind the murders pretty quickly. I honestly didn't get why there was an obsession with Naomi really. Honestly that was my only problem with the book and the reason it was a 4 star read. I guess you never really know what will set a serial killer on their path, but it really didn't see it with the killer.  

I enjoyed reading The Obsession. I want to share there are rape and torture in this story and if it is a trigger for anyone, you need to consider before reading. I felt like Ms. Roberts did a very tasteful job in handling both the rapes and the tortures, but it could be an issue for others. I'm glad I gave The Obsession a chance and look forward to reading future single title books from Nora Roberts.



No comments: