Sunday, July 29, 2012

Avenging Angel


Avenging Angel is book 2 in the Mindhunters series from Anne Marie Becker. From the author’s website.~


Grains of sand glistened in the moonlight, bright against the backdrop of her wet hair. Her blue lips were parted slightly, as if she could take in that last breath she'd been gasping for. She was, in a word, perfection.


When his friend's niece is murdered, Detective Noah Crandall vows to track down the killer. Since the victim worked in an art gallery with the well-connected and well-heeled Vanessa Knight, Noah questions her first. Despite the chemistry between them, Noah tells himself a relationship would be impossible. He's a loner and their backgrounds are worlds apart.


Drawn to Noah and horrified by the death of her intern, Vanessa shares her insights into the New York City art world. As they work together on the case, she's tempted to explore the possibility of a real relationship with the sexy outsider who ignites her desire. But what Vanessa doesn't realize is that in order to complete his gruesome series of paintings, the killer has targeted her to become his next victim...


I was lucky enough to get an early copy of Avenging Angel thanks to NetGalley. I didn’t realize it was the 2nd book in a series, but I thought it held up well as a stand-alone read.


I was pulled into Avenging Angel from the very beginning of the story. I loved Vanessa from the minute she appeared in the story. She is a really strong and smart character. When Noah Crandall shows up to help investigate Natalee’s murder, he must talk to Vanessa to get more answers. Noah and Vanessa are attracted to one another from the moment they meet, yet neither will admit it at first. I love the sexual tension between Vanessa and Noah, and It only grew the more they worked together to help find Natalee’s killer. Noah even calls his friend Damian Manchester, owner of SSAM, and his team to help find the killer before he strikes again.


As a series of “Angel” paintings show up in the gallery’s warehouse, Noah and the others quickly figure out Vanessa is the artist’s next target. While Noah doesn’t believe there is a future for Vanessa and him, he will do everything in his power to keep her safe. When they finally get on the same page and give in to their attraction, their love making is totally scorching. Loved how passionate they were together. Not that their relationship was without stumbling blocks. Besides  a killer being after Vanessa, she had a stupid ex-boyfriend and Noah and Vanessa come from very different backgrounds.


I’ll admit I figured out who the artist was rather early in the book. I didn’t really see any glaring descriptions that made me pick this person, but just seemed like the right person to me. I also read lots of romantic suspense and mysteries, and I usually am pretty lucky in figuring out the bad guy.


While Avenging Angel is the first book I’ve read from Anne Marie Becker, it won’t be my last. I’ve already purchased Only Fear, the 1st Mindhunter book for my kindle. The official release date from Carina Press is set for July 30, 2012. Avenging Angel will be available from your favorite on-line retailer and I highly recommend this new-to-me author.

No comments: