Sunday, June 26, 2016

MOONSTRUCK (DIABLO LAKE #1)

In Diablo Lake, Washington, a town populated by werewolves, witches, and more, magic woven deep into the earth protects the town's secrets from outsiders.

Katie Grady left Diablo Lake to get over a humiliating breakup; but her family needs her help, so she's back, in a sublet right across the hall from the guy she's lusted after for years. Jace Dooley is hotter than ever, and their friendship picks up along with massive doses of grown-up chemistry.

The very scent of Katie sharpens Jace's canines, makes the wolf within him stir. There's nothing more alluring to a Pack Alpha than a sexy female who is so very in charge. She won't be coddled, but if he plays his hand just right she might be convinced to become his.

Katie presents a challenge to Jace's wolf nature, whose chief instinct is to protect. Especially now that she's coming into the magic that is her birthright - and suddenly Jace isn't the only one who's interested in Katie, or the raw power she's just learning to use.

Release Date: June 20, 2016
Carina Press
Paranormal Romance
Diablo Lake Series #1
Review copy provided by publisher

Nikki’s Review

Lauren Dane is an author whom I adore! Her books have given me so much joy over the last few years. When she has a new release it feels like my birthday and Christmas all wrapped up in one! I had zero doubts that this book would be any different. I was wrong. Man, it hurts even saying that! I never thought I'd DNF (did not finish) a Lauren Dane book. 

Despite the fact that I didn't finish this book, there were some things that I really liked. The heroine, Katie Faith, was a hoot! Her witty comebacks and banter with the hero, Jace, was hilarious! I loved these two together. They just "got" each other. They laughed together and had an easy silence, they didn't need to fill the time with constant chatter; being together was enough. 

In all honesty, if the hero and heroine were the only two people in the book, I probably would have loved it. It was all the background noise. I was bored when they weren't on the page together. I just couldn't connect with the other parts of the story.

This book is a paranormal romance. Lauren Dane has a few series out that are about shifters and other magical beings. I have always gobbled those up in one sitting. I didn't expect this one to be any different. I don't think Moonstruck is a good example of what, Ms. Dane is capable of. I'm not kidding when I say that not loving this book is really hurting me. This review is hard to write. I almost feel like I'm betraying the author. But I have to be honest. Even though I didn't like this book, I will likely read book #2. I have hopes that the series will improve. Lauren Dane continues to be on the top of my favourite authors lists. I just wish I could have loved this one.


Rating: DNF (did not finish)

No comments: