Tuesday, October 27, 2015

UNION OF SIN

He’ll do anything to protect her. Even if it means letting her go.

Vault of Sin, Book 2

Tate Jackson made a big mistake. No, a monumental one. He picked the wrong place to introduce his wife, Cassie, to the alluring lifestyle they’d fantasized about.
Instinct told him to get her out of the poor excuse for a sex club—but he didn’t. And she was assaulted because of his carelessness. He’ll do anything to protect her from another traumatic experience, even if it means making the agonizing choice to convince his wife he no longer loves her.
Cassie’s not buying it. In fact, Tate is the last person she blames for that horrific night. She’s willing to give him the space he thinks he needs to get his head straight, but when divorce papers arrive, she realizes she’s out of time. She has twenty-eight days to figure out why Tate is ruining a perfect marriage. Twenty-eight days to figure out what he’s hiding. But when she learns the truth, she has to decide if her heart can take the strain of piecing their love back together.

Warning: Dirty tactics, dirtier sex, ropes, masks, guilty consciences, and love stretched so far, no one escapes unchanged. Not even you, dear reader.

Release Date: October 27, 2015
Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
The Vault series book 2
Review copy provided by the author for an honest review

Nikki's Review:

I have been anxious to read this book. I was so curious about Tate Jackson (TJ) in the first book. He was surrounded by sadness and resignation. But of course he wasn't talking. I knew he was having problems with his wife. My first thought was that she must be a vapid bitch, because TJ was completely likeable. I was wrong, heartbreakingly wrong.

TJ has served his beloved wife, Cassie with divorce papers. She's absolutely devastated and wants nothing more than to have her husband come home. TJ thinks he's doing the right thing. His misguided guilt and attempt to shelter her from a secret is tearing them apart. Cassie isn't ready to let go. She goes on an all out assault to get answers and to put a stop to the divorce.

Jesus, TJ made my damn head ache. I was spitting mad at him for the vast majority of the book. So much of the pain that they were both feeling could have prevented if he would have been honest with his wife. Shared his secret and opened up about his guilt. I don't think he gave his wife enough credit. Cassie is strong and worthy of being treated as such. TJ couldn't see that and it was the crux of all their problems and heartache. I wanted to throttle a fictional character. I admired Cassie for not accepting his crap. She wasn't willing to do nothing and let TJ destroy their marriage. 

Cassie decides to play dirty. Insinuate herself into her husbands life at the sex club he owns, The Vault of Sin. Anything goes behind the closed doors. And she wants a part of that. I was proud of her for not letting a past horrible experience dampen her need to explore that darker side of her sexuality. Every attempt at winning TJ back is thwarted by his stubbornness. It was at the point where I was getting frustrated with Cassie, where she decided it was time to walk away. I was like, hallelujah! I knew she was hurting, but I didn't want her to be a doormat anymore. I think Eden Summers did a good job of pulling Cassie up by her ears and shaking some sense into her. It was time for the woman to gather up her wounded pride and find a new normal...whatever that may be. 

Of course TJ pulls his head of the sand just in time to stop the divorce. Again, I wanted to smack him. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY liked him. I was just tired of him being a martyr. I was excited to see him finally grab his marriage by the balls and fight for the happiness they both deserved! I would have liked to see him grovel a lot more. I do think that Cassie took him back way too fast. I'm not sure I would have been able to accept his apologies so quickly, despite him finally sharing the whole truth with her. 

I am a huge fan of all of Eden Summers books. And this one was fantastic too! There's so much depth to the characters in this series. They're kinda like onions, so many layers to peel back and discover. TJ wasn't my favourite hero of hers. But he was realistic in the sense that he wanted to protect the woman he loves. And sometimes we do stupid things in the name of that love. Ms. Summer's needed to make TJ flawed. He needed to be stubborn and unwilling to see the path he was on was only causing more pain. I think he needed all of that to fully appreciate that he's married to a kick ass woman who is capable of holding herself together during difficult times. Sometimes we discover the best parts of our relationships only when we've lost them. And then, like TJ, you have to fight to build it up again. 

I cannot wait to see what torture Eden Summers puts, Brute through! I can't quite figure this guy out. I'm betting his onion is going to be many layers...and cause a lot of tears.



No comments: