Thursday, January 10, 2019

EVIDENCE OF DESIRE (COURTING JUSTICE #2)

Isla Shayne knows she's in over her head. As former all-star linebacker Trey Adams's personal lawyer, she's used to handling his business dealings and private financial matters, not murder charges. She needs to find an experienced criminal attorney who speaks her client's language. David Cormack of Garrison, Cormack and Lawless is exactly what she needs in the courtroom--and the only man she wants in the bedroom.

For David, taking on the Adams case means diving back into a world he thought he'd left behind and colliding head on with tragic possibilities he's in no mood to face. There's a reason professional football is in his past and no matter how close Isla gets to the truth he intends to leave it there.

But long days working on the case together lead to hot nights in each other's arms. As their feelings grow, the case takes a deadly twist that could change the game between the two lovers forever.

Release Date: January 8, 2019
Berkley Penguin Group
Courting Justice #2
Romantic Suspense
Review copy provided by publisher

Nikki’s Review:

Every time I think Lexi Blake couldn’t get any better, she proves me wrong. I think this book may be one of my favourites by her. 

I love a good romantic suspense, and Ms. Blake can weave a mystery or thriller like no other. She keeps me on my toes for the whole book. I spend a lot of time while I’m reading trying to figure out who the bad guy is. I rarely get it right. Evidence of Desire was no different. Except, this one pulled at me a bit more than most of her books. 

Over the last handful of years we’ve heard about CTE in professional athletes, mainly football players. This is a huge part of the plot. It was so interesting and tragic all at the same time. I found myself doing some research on the internet to learn more. Lexi did an amazing job with providing factual information (at least from what I could tell from my internet research) on the disease. 

David is an ex-football player turned criminal defence attorney. He’s been recommended for a case that hits a little too close to home for him. 

Isla is a business attorney and one of her clients, who is more like family, is accused of murdering his wife. She knows he couldn’t have possibly done it. She and David work together to prove her client innocent. 

Of course the sparks fly from the get go between Isla and David. It was hot, but it was also incredibly sweet. These are two characters who haven’t had a lot of happiness in their pasts, so there’s lots of indecision. Fortunately, their hearts take over pretty quickly!

I swear, I was constantly at the edge of my seat. One minute I thought the bad guy was one person, and then I thought it was someone else. This happened a few times, so when it was revealed, I was blown away! I didn’t see it coming. It was brilliant!

This is turning out to be an amazing series. Though I’ve never read anything of Lexi’s that doesn’t make me gush. This book could be read as a stand alone, but I think you’d benefit from reading the first book, Order of Protection

Rating: 4 Stars (A)

No comments: