Monday, August 06, 2018

IRON AND MAGIC (THE IRON COVENANT #1)

No day is ordinary in a world where Technology and Magic compete for supremacy…But no matter which force is winning, in the apocalypse, a sword will always work.

Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast.

Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify.

Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies?

As the prophet says: “It is better to marry than to burn.”

Hugh and Elara may do both. 

Release Date: June 26, 2018
The Iron Covenant #1, Kate Daniels #9.5
Nancy Yost Literary Agency, LLC
Urban Fantasy
Review copy provided by publisher 

Liza's Review:

Iron and Magic is the first book in the Iron Covenant series that is a spin-off of the Kate Daniels series. While a reader could pick up this series and start it, I feel they would be missing out on some much of the world building to this point if they didn't read the Kate Daniels books first.

Hugh d'Ambray is no longer aligned with his master/foster father Roland. Hugh really doesn't know what to do with himself initially and seems to drown his feelings in alcohol to get through each day. I felt like had Hugh's Iron Dogs not been in trouble, he probably would have continued on doing nothing. However, the loyal men and women who have always followed him needing his help finally woke him up. I have to say Hugh having concern for anyone other than himself was almost a bit of a surprise, as I've never really felt like he cared about anything but himself and Roland from what we've seen of him so far in the Kate Daniels series. He needs food and shelter for his people and has discovered just the person to help.

Elara Harper is called the White Lady by her people. She has the shelter Hugh and the Iron Dogs needs and he can provide the protection her people need. This unlikely pair and their marriage of convenience could have been the biggest cluster with two individuals who are both used to being in charge. I have to say the banter between them made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion.

I thought Iron and Magic was a good start to this spinoff series. There was much world building to be established, so the book did start out a bit slow. However, once I really was pulled into the story, I was totally hooked. I like seeing a side of Hugh I don't feel like we have ever seen before. I also loved the Elara really kept him on his toes. They really did seem absolutely perfect for one another as they each wanted to protect their people at any cost. 

Elara and Hugh fought well together for a common goal, and I have to say I enjoyed learning more about Hugh in Iron and Magic, but have to say I didn't learn nearly enough about Elara. I am absolutely intrigued by her. She is such a strong woman, yet I feel some vulnerability from her as well. I only know I want to know more about her than what we saw in Iron and Magic and can't wait to see who and what she really is.

Iron and Magic left me wanting more, which I feel is a good thing for books in a series. I also wonder what parts Hugh and Elara will play in the final Kate Daniels book coming out later this month. I feel like their involvement will give more insight into future books.


Rating: 4 Stars (B)

No comments: