Monday, August 06, 2018

BUTTERFACE (THE HARTIGANS #1)

It’s true. I’m not what most people would call “pretty” and, well, high school was rough. Fast forward ten years and life is good…

Until a bunch of jerks think it’s hilarious to put the “butterface” (AKA me) on a wedding Kiss Cam with the hottest guy ever—and that old humiliation hits hard.

I recognize him immediately. The sexiest cop in Waterbury and totally out of my league.

But then he kisses me.

And we totally forget the room, the crowd, everything.

Then he tells everyone we’ve been dating for months.

Soon everything starts to feel too real, from adorable fights over “necessary” tools to fix my broken porch to surviving a free-for-all dinner with his six siblings to picking up where our last kiss left off.

But there’s something he’s not telling me about why he’s really hanging around, and I’m pretty sure it has to do with my mob-connected brothers.

Because this is not a make-over story, and Cinderella is only a fairy tale…

Release Date: July 30, 2018
Entangled Amara
The Hartigans #1
Contemporary Romance
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

As soon as I finished reading the last book in the Harbor City series from Avery Flynn, I wrote my review and hoped we would get books about each of the Hartigan siblings. When I saw Butterface was being released and it was the first book in the Hartigan series, I was absolutely over the moon to start reading this book. OMG it was worth every single minute I had to wait!!!

Gina Luca isn't your classic beauty. In fact she has heard herself described as "butterface" so many times, she has accepted she will never be seen as beautiful. She totally accepts herself for who she is and is happy in her own skin. She also has started her own business as a wedding planner and is living in and renovating her grandparents Victorian home. When she is pushed on the Kiss Cam at one of the weddings she is overseeing, she never expects the super sexy police officer Ford Hartigan to kiss her in front of everyone. 

Ford Hartigan has always gone his own way in life. He comes from a family of firefighters yet has always wanted to be a police officer. He has always been a rule follower and is happy being a detective for the organized crime task force for the Waterbury Police Department. His work life and personal life mix when he is put on protective duty for Gina Luca when her grandfather's body is discovered in the attic walls during renovation. As Ford is investigating organized crime, and Gina's brothers are on the low level ladder in that field, them dating could be seen as a conflict of interest. However, as his Captain is the one who puts him on protective duty, Ford is pretty much following the rules.

I loved this story and really loved seeing Gina and Ford slowly move to a real relationship from the fake one they start out with for her family. The attraction between them was there from the very beginning, and I love that Ford truly saw Gina as beautiful. While I absolutely hated he wasn't up front with Gina about his protection detail being work related, I did love he was totally honest about what he thought of her appearance and his feeling for her all along. I honestly got all the feels while watching Gina and Ford fall in love. Gina and Ford had amazing chemistry and I loved they couldn't seem to keep their hands off each other. Gina makes not excuses or changes to her appearance to try and get her man and I loved her even more for being completely comfortable in her own skin. Not that she doesn't feel pain when people say ugly things about her appearance, she just accepts her looks and doesn't try and make changes. Ford seeing her for more than she saw herself make me happy sigh. I also love that while he didn't have to do so, he even was watching out for her brothers along the way. 

I adored every single minute of reading Butterface. Avery Flynn has become one of my go-to contemporary romance authors and I anxiously await each new release. I've already added Muffin Top, book 2 in the Hartigan series to my to be read list for September. I can't wait to see Frankie Hartigan meet his match!



Rating: 5 Stars (B+)

Buy Links:
Amazon Universal: http://mybook.to/Butterface

Add to GoodReads: https://bit.ly/2sSXjEL

No comments: