Thursday, June 07, 2018

VENOM IN THE VEINS (ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN #17)

Blood might be thicker than water, but venom is stronger than just about anything …

It was supposed to be a nice, quiet, simple dinner with friends—but nothing is ever nice, quiet, or simple when you’re Gin Blanco, the Spider, notorious assassin and current queen of the Ashland underworld.

This time around, someone seems to be targeting Stuart Mosley, the president of First Trust bank. Lots of people have grudges against Mosley, but the more I investigate, the more Mosley’s problems seem to be connected to some of my own, especially when it comes to the Circle, the evil, shadowy group that is secretly responsible for much of the crime and corruption in Ashland.

But when another blast from my dark and deadly past as the Spider comes to light, I wonder if I’ll be able to survive this dangerous new enemy, who has a burning thirst for revenge that will only be satisfied with one thing: my death.

Release Date: June 12, 2018
Elemental Assassin #17
Jennifer Estep
Urban Fantasy
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza' Review:

The Elemental Assassin series of books is the first series of books I read when I discovered the Urban Fantasy genre. Gin Blanco and her friends and family remain some of my favorite characters I've every read. Venom in the Veinsis the newest story in the Elemental Assassin world.

Part of what I love about the series is the consistency of Gin and all of her friends. While Finn, Bria, Owen, and Silvio seem to take most things at face value, Gin is always sure there is more than meets the eye...and usually right on the money. When Finn's boss Stuart Mosley is the victim of a mugging and attempted kidnapping, everyone else thinks it is just a random occurrence, and Gin totally feels like there is more to it. I love how suspicious Gin is of everyone in Ashland, especially as she has plenty of reasons for her concerns.

As Gin is still diligently trying to figure out exactly who is behind the evil group the Circle, a blast form the past seems to come back to haunt her. Alanna Eaton is the daughter of Amelia Eaton, whom Gin killed many years ago. It turns out that Amelia was part of the Circle, and her daughter Alanna is back in Ashland and wants to take over where her mother left off. From all the flashbacks in Gin's dreams, it appears that Alanna was even more evil than her mother if possible.

We wouldn't have an Elemental Assassin book if Gin didn't run into major trouble that only she could figure out how to survive the experience. I still absolutely love how Gin's mind works through all the twists and turns thrown her way. I sometime wish her memory of the past came to her a bit sooner than right when she puts herself into danger though. I have to say that Mab remains my favorite villain from this series and while I like some aspects of the Circle, it seems to just be branching out more and more over each book. I thought I had a few things figured out when we first met Hugh Tucker, but now I'm a bit confused as to why he continues to almost be in Gin's corner part of the time and ready to let her almost die at other times. Add in the mysterious Mason, who we finally might know more about, and the notes from years ago from the Circle, and my confusion level increased. I'm really hoping we get the full mystery of the Circle and how involved Gin's family was in the Circle soon.

Venom in the Veinswas a good addition to the Elemental Assassin series, but I think it left me with more questions than answers for the first time in a long time with this series. I loved time with Gin and all her friends and family and have to say that even after 17 books, I'm still hooked on the series. I'm hoping we get a few more answers with the next installment in the series.


Rating: 4 Stars (B-)


No comments: