Wednesday, November 01, 2017

THE TROUBLE WITH TWELFTH GRAVE (CHARLEY DAVIDSON #12)

Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the twelfth installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series.

Ever since Reyes escaped from a hell dimension in which Charley accidently trapped him, the son of Satan has been brimstone-bent on destroying the world his heavenly Brother created. His volatile tendencies have put Charley in a bit of a pickle. But that’s not the only briny vegetable on her plate. While trying to domesticate the feral being that used to be her husband, she also has to deal with her everyday life of annoying all manner of beings—some corporeal, some not so much—as she struggles to right the wrongs of society. Only this time she’s not uncovering a murder. This time she’s covering one up.

Add to that her new occupation of keeping a startup PI venture—the indomitable mystery-solving team of Amber Kowalski and Quentin Rutherford—out of trouble and dealing with the Vatican’s inquiries into her beloved daughter, and Charley is on the brink of throwing in the towel and becoming a professional shopper. Or possibly a live mannequin. But when someone starts attacking humans who are sensitive to the supernatural world, Charley knows it’s time to let loose her razor sharp claws. Then again, her number one suspect is the dark entity she’s loved for centuries. So the question becomes, can she tame the unruly beast before it destroys everything she’s worked so hard to protect?

Release Date: October 31, 2017
St. Martin's Press
Charley Davidson Series #12
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

With each new installment in the Charley Davidson series, I am reminded how much I enjoy this series. I know the series is coming to an end with the next book in the series and have to say I felt like The Trouble with Twelfth Grave took us back to the old school Charley books. 

Once again in Twelfth Grave, there is lots going on and I don't want to share too much to avoid posting spoilers. I will say I loved the interactions between Charley and Reyes/Rey'azikeen. Rey'azikeen says that Reyes is no more, but there was just something about the interactions between them that make me know the real Reyes was still there underneath all the swagger of Rey'azikeen. 

I loved that Amber and Quentin wanted to start a PI agency much like the one Charley runs. Amber is such an inquisitive individual and has such a big heart; it made perfect sense for her to want to find a way to help others. I absolutely adored all the questions Amber had for Charley about her work and seeing Amber take her new roll as in investigator so very seriously. I also loved that Charley was smart enough to make sure Amber kept her mom in the loop by suggesting she talk to Cookie about the behind the scenes work involved in keeping everything running.

I have to say the friendship between Charley and Cookie remains one of my favorite things about this series. There is just something about best friends working together and totally and completely getting each other that keeps me coming back for more. I love that Charley will do anything in her powers (which she is still learning about at this point) to protect Cookie and everyone she loves. I also love the crazy banter between Charley and Cookie. I have found myself laughing out loud at some of their conversations they are so funny.

I knew something big would happen in The Trouble with Twelfth Grave, but had no idea that I would pretty much scream what the hell when I finished the story, and then promptly go back and re-read what I just read to make sure I read it right the first time. Do I think it could have happened any other way? Absolutely not. This ending was classic Charley taking care of everyone she loves. It honestly only made me want the final book even more than I already did. Darynda Jones knows how to leave her readers wanting more even as she pretty much rips out our hearts along the way. I am not on the countdown to see where Ms. Jones takes us in the final installment of the series. 

Rating: 5 stars (A-)

No comments: