Wednesday, October 04, 2017

SMOKE AND SIN (THE PERFECT GENTLEMEN #4)

More than a decade ago, Roman Calder had a scorching affair with the sister of one of his best friends. Augustine Spencer drove him so crazy he thought of nothing but her. The only thing they did more often than heat the sheets was fight. Unprepared for the intensity of their relationship, Roman broke things off and concentrated on the things that made sense to him: his career and putting his best friend, Zack Hayes, in the White House. 

Gus Spencer is known to Washington insiders as the president’s secret weapon. Gorgeous and brilliant, Gus runs the press pool with the determination of a shark. No one dares to cross her, not when she’s known for having a spine of steel. But long ago one man melted her down. Despite the fact that she’ll never forgive Roman for breaking her heart, now that they work together she can’t get him off her mind. 

When a dangerous investigation leads both Roman and Gus to London, the heat between them becomes unbearable. As they begin to unravel an international conspiracy, they find themselves falling all over again. But when a killer threatens their world, can they fight to stay together or will the sins of their past keep them forever apart?

Release Date: September 26, 2017
The Perfect Gentlemen Series #4
Romantic Suspense
Black Oak Books, LLC
Review copy provided by the publisher 

Nikki’s Review:

Holy crap. Holy crap! I knew it! I can't believe it finally happened, but I freakin' knew it! And I can't tell you anything about it. You need to read the book to find out what I'm talking about. It's killing me to not sing it from the rooftop. Plus, I would probably look like a crazy person if I did. 

The series has building up to this. And there's still more books to come! I have been intrigued by the stoic and brooding Roman Calder since I met him in the first book. And Augustine Spencer (Gus) is a whirling ball of sassy feistiness that I've admired from the start. I knew these two would explode on the pages. I knew that their story would be deep and pull at my heart. I'm so happy that I wasn't wrong.

Roman has always wanted Gus, but she isn't what he thinks he needs. Which is why things ended so badly for them more than a decade before. Augustine is carrying around a heartache that has never truly gone away. Roman destroyed her all those years ago. She's learned to tuck it all away, but whenever she sees him, it comes rushing back. 

The relationship between these two is complicated. There is so much history and hurt. But when they finally succumb to years of frustration and wanting...sweet baby Jesus! It's incredible. I got a little flutter in my belly when everything came full circle.

Roman and Gus are both trying to solve the mystery that has been plaguing their group of close friends. People around them are dying, and the story continues to get deeper and more complex. When they finally start to work together, they find some of the answers they need. Or maybe more like answers to riddles that just open another set of doors.

The continuing story arc in this series continues to draw me in deeper with each book. While each couple in every book gets their HEA, the suspense and mystery plot play out through the series. I've become somewhat of an amateur sleuth reading these books. I've got all sorts of theories whirling around in my head. I talk to myself often while reading because I'm trying to work it all out. I think my husband is starting suspect that I'm certifiable. 

Like in previous reviews of this series, I can't really go into too much detail. I don't want to ruin the experience for you. Part of the adventure is reading all the layers as they get peeled back. But I can talk about the phenomenal writing. When Lexi Blake and Shayla Black get together and write a book, magic happens. A book baby is born and a miracle has been given to us. Ok, that's a bit nutters sounding, but kinda true! These two authors write perfection on their own, but together is almost indescribable. Can you tell I'm a huge fan? 

Each book leaves me with more questions than the last. But it also answers so many at the same time. Like I said, each couple gets their HEA, so there's no cliffhangers in that regard. Trust me, if there were cliffhangers like that, I would be crazy stabby! I don't read those. So you're safe! 

The last couple of pages had my heart beating like crazy! I knew it was going to happen, I had a feeling from the start. Gah! I can't tell you what I'm talking about. When you get to the moment yourself you'll know why I was so cryptic and crazy about it!

You need to start with the first book in the series to understand the continuing story arc. I think you'd be lost without the other books. But honestly, you don't want to miss the first three Perfect Gentlemen. Do yourself a favour and pick up book #1, Scandal Never Sleeps. You'll be happy you started the journey at the beginning.


Rating: 5 Stars (A+)

No comments: