Thursday, October 27, 2016

KEPT (ENFORCERS #3)


He can’t change who he is...

A horrific childhood has made Silas the man he is today: dangerous, distrustful, and demanding. He’s lived in self-imposed solitude, convinced that no woman could ever accept his need for absolute control—in business and pleasure. That is, until a young violinist walks into one of his buildings and into his life.

She can’t change what she wants...

Haley has been struggling to fulfill her father’s dying wish: to attend a prestigious music school in New York City. But even working two jobs, she can’t afford the tiniest of apartments. Seeing her hopeless and near tears, Silas vows to help and protect her, no matter the cost to himself. But when Haley meets his every demand with unwavering acceptance and love, he is overwhelmed by her goodness and gentle spirit. He knows that the dark stain on his soul can never be erased—and rather than risk destroying the most beautiful thing he's ever experienced, he knows he'll have to do the hardest thing he's ever had to face. Let her go. But he's totally unprepared for the lengths Haley will go to fight for his love and a future brighter than the sun... 

Release Date: October 25, 2016
Enforcers series Book #3
Berkley Penguin Group
Review copy provided by the publisher 


Nikki’s Review:

This series just pulls me right in. There are so many emotions from one page to the next. I was beyond excited to get this ARC in my greedy hands. Maya Banks twists my insides into knots. This book was no different.

Silas is dark and broody. I'm not sure you'd ever want to be on his bad side. But you get to see glimpses of a softer side in the first two books. He's capable of affection and friendship, though he keeps those things very closely guarded.

Haley is down on her luck. A music student who is quickly running out of money. She's determined to make her dreams come true. She just needs to catch a break. I'm sure this goes against all feminist sensibilities, but I love love love a story where the heroine needs rescuing. I don't want her to be "too stupid to live" or a complete pushover, but I like the "knight in shining armour" concept. It gets all my girly senses fluttering! 

These two were wicked hot for each other from the get go. Silas doesn't want the distraction that Haley is proving to be, but he's not capable of staying away either. Haley is only too willing to give herself over to Silas and his sensual demands.

The thing with this series is that the relationships aren't conventional. The heroes demand total control over the heroine’s life, in bed and out. Those who are familiar with or are apart of the BDSM community would understand this concept easily. However, it may take a little getting used to if you're more "vanilla". The dynamic works for the couples. It's completely consensual and absolutely breathtaking!

I loved the real "black moments" in this book. The part where the emotions are stripped raw and everyone is left bleeding. There were several moments like that and it kept me holding my breath. I wasn't sure how the hero and heroine would come back from it. But true to, Maya Banks style, they always do! I'm constantly left wondering how in the hell she does it. On one page I'm laughing over the dialogue, the next page I'm red in the face during a love scene, and then I'm snotting and bawling on the next! So many emotions; I'm often left with a spinning head. But this is good! I love feeling all this stuff. Ms. Banks always pulls it all together and makes it work. It's incredible!

There's a suspense aspect to the plot line. Silas and the men he calls his "brothers" aren't your typical heroes. The author doesn't come right out and say what they're involved in, but you get a sense that they toe the line of the law. Kinda like a mafia of sorts, but with honourable and good men. Make sense? 

I highly recommend you start with book 1 in this series. Some of the story overlaps. You meet all the key characters (except Haley) in the previous books. I really hope that Maya Banks continues with the series. I haven't heard anything about future books, but there are so many characters that I would love to read about! So many possibilities! 

Rating: 3.5 stars (B+)
~~Review also will appear as a guest post on The Book Reading Gals~~



No comments: