Sunday, July 03, 2016

THE CURSE OF TENTH GRAVE (CHARLEY DAVIDSON #10)

As a Part-time PI and fulltime grim reaper, Charley Davidson has asked a lot of questions throughout her life: Why can I see dead people? Who is the hot supernatural entity following me? How do I get gum out of my sister’s hair before she wakes up? But, “How do I trap not one malevolent god, but three?” was never among them. Until now. And since those gods are on earth to kill her daughter, she has little choice but to track them down, trap them, and cast them from this dimension.

There’s just one problem. One of the three stole her heart a very long time ago. Can the Razer, a god of absolute death and destruction, change his omniscient spots, or will his allegiances lie with his brothers?

Those are just a few of the questions Charley must answer, and quick. Add to that a homeless girl running for her life, an innocent man who’s been charged with murder, and a pendant made from god glass that has the entire supernatural world in an uproar, and Charley has her hands full. If she can manage to take care of the whole world-destroying-gods thing, we’re saved. If not, well… 

Release Date: June 28, 2016
St. Martin's Press
Charley Davidson #10
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza’s Review:


I wanted to love The Curse of Tenth Grave as I love this series. However, it really fell a little flat for me. I'm fine with multiple story lines going on, as I've gotten used to that with the series. However, I'm not fine when Charley and Reyes are fighting or at least not talking to each other. I feel like the story misses something when Charley and Reyes aren't working together or at least getting along. I loved all the time with Cookie and Charley and their friendship is part of the reason I love the series.  I felt like the mysteries of the runaway girl and the innocent man charged with murder were both really strong. However, I felt like both mysteries were overshadowed by the men seeking Charley because of a video that had gone viral. Add in I felt like the ending was rushed, and I just felt like something was missing with this book.

While I didn't love The Curse of Tenth Grave, there were parts of the story that I really did love. I loved finally seeing Charley and Reyes reconnect. I also absolutely loved any mention of Beep and loved when Charley visits with Rocket. I also enjoyed getting to learn more about Reyes and Charley's world, but wish more focus had been on it. That being said, I plan to read Eleventh Grave in Midnight when it comes out next year, as I need to see where Darynda Jones will take the series.


Rating: 3.75 stars (B-)

No comments: