Wednesday, March 09, 2016

DRIVE (HOT RIDES #1)

Get your heart racing…

Blazing Miami sun. Cool classic cars. Dangerous undercover assignment. In Sidney Bristol’s scorching new Hot Rides series, the cars are fast and the romance is furious…

Aiden DeHart has a history—and secrets. His classic car garage is a front for an FBI operation. His current mission: get some evidence from a drug dealer’s ex-wife, then get out. Madison Haughton sending his engine into overdrive isn’t part of the plan, though, especially considering she might not be as innocent as Aiden thought…

Since her divorce from her sleazeball ex, Madison has sworn off bad boys, gotten some sweet tattoos, and become a star of Miami’s roller derby scene. But however fast she skates, her ex is always on her tail. When the sexy guy in the muscle car offers to help, he could be her ticket to safety—or a detour down a deadly road…

Release Date: February 23, 2016
Hot Rides series book 1
Zebra Shout
Review copy provided by the publisher 

Nikki’s Review:

Sidney Bristol is a new to me author. As I've said in past reviews, reading new to me authors is always a bit nerve wracking for me. I'm really not sure where to start with this review. I can't say that I love this book, but I don't hate it either. I’m totally wishy-washy on this one.

It was a slowwww start. My eyes were glazing over at all the car and racing stuff. I will give Ms. Bristol credit with the research that must have gone into this book! Her knowledge of supped up cars and street racing is incredible! There's a whole culture surrounding this illegal lifestyle that I had no idea about. However, the details were a bit much for me. It started to overpower the romance that was suppose to be building between the characters.

I liked Madison's character. She has built a life for herself after divorcing her douche bag husband. She is strong and witty. She has personality in spades. I struggled a bit with her almost instant trust in Aiden. He comes to her with this super secret story about taking down her ex, and she spends a little time in her head (like minutes) mulling it over. Ya, that made her look like the girl in horror movies, who suggests they split up to investigate a noise. This aside though, she was a very likeable character.

I could definitely feel the insta-chemistry between Aiden and Madison. There were some pretty decent and well-placed love scenes. A few sweet moments too. I kinda got lost in all the car stuff though, and I didn't get a good sense of their relationship. The chemistry was there, but I couldn't see or feel the intricacies of it all. 


There's a huge suspense factor in this book. Lots of FBI/Cop stuff to satisfy anyone who loves more of a suspense presence in their romance. In my opinion, if you love The Fast and The Furious movies (which I don't), this new series may be for you!  

No comments: