Friday, July 24, 2015

BREATHLESS IN LOVE (MAVERICK BILLIONAIRES BOOK 1)

Will Franconi has a dark past that he's kept a closely guarded secret―very few people have ever heard his real story and he plans to keep it that way. After surviving a hellish childhood, he's now living the dream life where everything he touches turns to gold. But something's missing. He doesn't quite know what until a simple letter from a teenage boy brings Harper Newman into his life. A woman who just might fill up the empty places inside him.if only he could ever be worthy of her love.

When a man has more money than he could possibly spend in five lifetimes, Harper has to ask herself what Will Franconi could possibly want from a woman like her? She's learned the hard way that rich men always get what they want no matter the cost. If it was just herself she had to worry about, Harper would manage, but she's guardian to her younger brother who depends on her for everything. After nearly losing his life in a car crash, she's vowed never to let anyone hurt him ever again.

Still, sometimes Harper can't help but long to change her story from one of an always-cautious woman to an adventurous tale of a heroine who's wild and free.especially when Will's kisses and caresses make her utterly breathless. And as he begins to reveal his story to her, she discovers that he's so much more than just another wealthy, privileged man. He's kind and giving, and he fills up all the spaces inside of her heart that have been empty for so long. Together, can they rewrite their stories into a happily-ever-after that neither of them had previously thought was possible?

Release Date: June 10, 2015
Bella Andre & Jennifer Skully
Publisher Maverick Oak Press, LLC
The Maverick Billionaires #1
Purchased copy of book

Nikki's Review:


I have been a long time, huge fan of Bella Andre. I gobble up anything that she writes and it never ceases to amaze me that I fall head over heels for each book! I’m not gonna lie, I was a little nervous about this book. The synopsis sounded great, and the cover is gorgeous. What was making me a little hesitant was that it was co-wriiten with another author, Jennifer Skully. Now, I don’t have anything against Ms. Skully. I had never read anything by her. I was worried that Bella’s “voice” would be lost. I’m happy to say that I was terribly wrong! I could still “hear” Bella, but I could also appreciate the new style that Jennifer contributed as well! These two ladies wrote something so very special together!

Harper Newman lives a very controlled and predictable life. She takes care of her brother Jeremy, who has special needs that are the result of an accident when he was a child. She doesn’t have time for romance, especially the kind that pulls her away from her brother. When she meets billionaire car enthusiast, Will Franconi, she is completely blown away. And that alone is terrifying to her! Will is enamoured with the beautiful and uptight Harper. She intrigues him. She isn’t interested in his money or what he can do for her. And she loves her brother fiercely, which just makes him want her more. But Will is sure that he isn’t good enough for her, despite his enormous wealth. He has a past that he can’t move on from. 

I loved Harper’s protective nature. She devotes her life to her teenage brother who is much more like a young child. Her unconditional love is staggering. I respected that she wasn’t willing to put her own needs for companionship over Jeremy’s need for love and guardianship. But it also saddened me because, here was a woman who has such a beautiful heart and she deserved a piece of happiness for herself. Slowly but surely, Will starts to chip away at the shield around her heart and insinuate himself into Jeremy and Harpers lives. Will has this vulnerability about him that was so honest. He has all the money in the world, endless opportunities, and people clamouring to do his bidding, and yet he doesn’t feel worthy of Harpers love. My heart kinda broke for him. He had redeemed himself from his past so many times over and it wasn’t enough to wash away the stain on his mind and soul. 

I found myself cheering this couple on! I wanted them together so badly and each baby step was so realistically slow, and needed, that I was frustrated. But it wouldn’t have worked if Harper just gave in. That wouldn’t have been true to her nature, to how she learned to trust. The moment Harper decided to take what Will was so blatantly offering, my heart skipped a beat! And holy freakin’ hell…The hood of his car! Yup, sex on the hood of his sexy sports car. My mouth dried up and I was lost. But I didn’t want to be found. The sex scenes were beautifully written. Just the right amount of sexy and yumminess. Have I mentioned how much I would love to be seduced by the kisses that Will is oh so good at? Sigh…he’s a really great kisser!

This is a story of redemption as much as it’s about love. Will had to learn how to forgive his juvenile mistakes from years before, before he could fully be what Harper needed. She needed to learn to trust that Will wanted her and that included her brother. She needed to let go and listen to heart a little bit. Sometimes I wanted to shake some sense into Harper. It drove me nuts that she was so reluctant to just take a chance. Ya, I know, she needed to be cautious but I just wanted her to dive in and be carefree. The surrender is beautiful. When that moment came, I got a little misty eyed. It was raw. Will was wrecked, he thought he was going to lose her, but she humbled herself in front of this wonderful man. Together they were able to find the love, trust and peace that both so desperately wanted and needed.


Breathless in Love is a great start to what promises to be an awesome series! Wills friends, the other Mavericks, promise to knock me off of my feet and make my heart melt. Is there anything better? I mentioned already that I love anything that Bella writes. Now I am going to have a peek at what else Jennifer Skully has out! 

No comments: