Wednesday, November 06, 2013

I'll be Home for Christmas


I’ll be Home for Christmas (a Coming Home novella) is the newest release from Jessica Scott. The publisher is Forever Grand Central Publishing and the release date is November 5, 2013.  From the author’s website.~

There's nothing in the world Army Sergeant Vic Carponti loves more than his wife and his country. Smart-mouthed and easy tempered, he takes everything as a joke . . . except his promise to come home to his wife, Nicole, for Christmas. As he prepares to leave for his latest deployment into Iraq, Vic will do everything he can to shield his beautiful, supportive wife from the realities of war . . . and from his own darkest fears.

As a career army wife, Nicole Carponti knows just what to expect from her husband's tour of duty: loneliness, relentless worry, and a seemingly endless countdown until the moment Vic walks through the door again. But when the unthinkable happens, Nicole and Vic's bond is tested like never before and changes everything they believe to be true about the power of love and the simple beauty of being home for the holidays.

I was lucky enough to get a review copy from the author through NetGalley. I'm a huge fan of Jessica Scott and love her Coming Home series so much. 

I have to say how much I've loved Vic Carponti in the other books and was so happy we would get a book that featured him. Vic's humor has always had me laughing out loud and I love how protective he is of his friends and the people he loves. Vic and Nicole totally work for me as a couple, even as I saw them as so different from one another. I kinda felt like their differences brought them closer together. Add in their chemistry, and they were perfect.

Much of this story takes place with Vic on the front lines and Nicole at home. I'm not in the military and have never had anyone I'm in love with deployed, so this book gave me incredible insight into the lives of the men and women in the military. This book wrung so many emotions out of me, which I've really come to expect from any book from Ms. Scott. Vic's humor gave me all the laughs I could ask for in this book. I also felt his pain when anyone on his team was injured and could feel his despair about not talking to his wife about what all was going on. I also could totally feel Nicole's pain, fear, and loneliness as she waited for Vic to come home. When Vic is hurt and Nicole goes to him, not knowing what she might find, my heart broke for them both. I have to say Vic's humor in the situation still made me laugh and I loved that Nicole totally even threw in a few of her own jokes to get them through everything.

Nicole and Vic's story was so beautiful and I'm already counting down the days for the next book from Jessica Scott. Back to You will be Trent and Laura's book and I've been chomping at the bit to read it since we first me them.

No comments: