Sunday, October 24, 2010

Half Marathon Training Update

So when I started running back in April, my only goal was to finish a 5k. Once I did my first 5k, I decided I wanted to see if I could do a 10k. Well, I did my 1st 10k in September, and thought what the heck, I want to try a half marathon. So I signed up for a half marathon training group and started my training in September. I've now had long runs of both 8 miles and 10 miles. I absolutely love an 8 mile run. You burn lots of calories and still feel really good when you finish. I loved the first 9 miles of my 10 mile run. After that point, the run turned into a bitch with teeth. Part of the problem was I hurt my right foot last week on the 6 mile run through Percy Warner Park. It pretty much is 3-5 miles mostly uphill, with the final mile being almost all downhill. No matter how I tried to control my speed, I ended up running downhill too fast and did something to my right foot. In my run yesterday, about mile 9 or so my foot started hurting to the point that I actually had to walk about 1/2 of the final mile.

Now I'm trying to figure out if my foot will heal enough for me to actually run my half marathon in 3 weeks. We do a 12 mile run on Saturday, and depending on how the run goes depends on if I register for the race. Luckily, the race I'm looking at doesn't sell out and you can register for it up the the morning of the race. I'm limping along today and will do a couple of short runs this week before the long 12 mile run on Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sooooo sorry about your injury!! :( That is great that the first 9 miles of your 10 mile run were good. I think I started to fall apart around mile 8 or 9 on the 10 mile runs LOL so that's about right! Good luck and do NOT push the runs on an injured foot whatever you doooo!! You can always run another Half Marathon later in the season!!

mslizalou said...

I'm wearing my foot brace for a few days. If I have any trouble on my short run on Wednesday night, I might hold off until the Spring for my first 1/2 marathon. Really want to run next month, but not willing to mess up my feet to do it.