Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Update...Reading & Running

I recently discovered Tessa Dare's books and can only say that I really love them. I've already read both Goddess of the Hunt and Surrender of a Siren and am in the middle of A Lady of Persuasion. I love reading books in a series and especially enjoy when I can read one after another with no breaks. I hope to post my thoughts on at least the first two books this weekend and finish A Lady of Persuasion.

I signed up for a training group to train for my first 5K race. The actual race will be on July 3 and the training covers a 10 week period. I'm hoping to be in good enough shape to jog/run at least part of the race, but will be happy to walk and finish the race if that is all I can do in July. Of course, between the training fee, cost of a new watch, some new workout clothes, and new running shoes the entire endeavor will be much more expensive than I originally thought. However, I feel the long-term benefits will more than make up for the initial cost. I have several friends who started with 5K races and are now either training for half marathons, marathons, or even triathlons. I don't really have any plans to run more than a 5K or 10K in the near future, but would really love to run a half marathon before I turn 40 next October. I'm thinking the additional workouts each week will also help with my weight loss plans(currently on Weight Watchers and have lost 41 pounds to date). Of course, I have my elliptical machine, and I've been using it each week. I've already been told I'll need to do most of my workouts outside to prepare for the actual race, so my elliptical will only be used once or twice a week during my training.

Plans tomorrow night to get together with my friends for drinks and painting. We are going to some one's house who will teach each of us how to paint one of his paintings. I have absolutely no artistic skills, so not sure I'll have the best time with the painting, but I know I'll have a great time with my friends. If my painting doesn't look too bad, I'll try to post a picture of it this weekend. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

2 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey! I just found Tessa Dare's Goddess of the Hunt at a thrift store, and I was trying to remember, is this the one people were so wild about? But I took a chance and got it. So, I'm very pleased to see your positive assessment here! (psst not to mention a certain positive assessment below...Thanks so much!!)

Good luck on the running and painting tomorrow!

mslizalou said...

Carolyn, I've had Tessa's books in my TBR pile since everyone went wild for them last year. Finally decided to give them a shot and really love them. I will say the first 2 start out a bit slow, but finish very strong.

BTW, I can't wait to see what happens between Justine, Packard, and Otto in Double Cross.