Monday, February 01, 2010

The Lightning Thief


The Lightning Thief is book one in the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series by Rick Riordan. From the back cover.~

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school…again. And that’s the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy’s Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he’s angered a few of them. Zeus’s master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus’s stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him to betrayal for a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

So I had seen the Percy Jackson books everywhere, but really didn’t think it would be a series I would want to read. Then I actually picked up the first book and realized it was full of Greek Mythology and I knew I had to give this series a shot. I’m so glad I did! I really enjoyed the first book in the series and am so glad that I picked up the next 3 in the series when I was out book shopping one day. I hate to start a series and not have the next book waiting (might explain my TBR bookshelf). I would say for the most part the Percy Jackson series is perfect for any age reader who loves a great story, although I really think it is meant for children or YA. I plan on seeing the movie next week, so I had to finish the book first (not a hard rule for me, but I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie). I really like Percy and his friends Annabeth and Grover and especially love that the Half-Bloods are sent on quest to prove themselves.

Rick Riordan gives the reader a really great story and I look forward to reading more in this series. The Sea of Monsters is the next book in the series and I plan on reading it soon. My reading had taken a serious hit in the past week, but I’m really hoping to get my reading mojo back this week.

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

This was such a great start to a fantastic series. I really can't wait until the movie comes out! I hope it does it justice1