Monday, January 12, 2009

Devil in Winter

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas is the third book in "Wallflower" series. From the back cover~

Four young ladies enter London society and band together to each find a husband. Has the third "Wallflower" now met her match?

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition:marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts-which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

This was the first book I've read by Lisa Kleypas, but won't be the last. I found out about this book from CJ at http://thethrillionthpage.blogspot.com, and decided I must give it a try for myself. Evie seems to be a really weak person at the first of the book and Sebastian appears to only care about himself. As Evie and Sebastian spend more time together, they both seem to see something special in the other. Of course, Evie ending their lovemaking after their wedding night, only makes Sebastian want her even more.

Devil in Winter is a historical romance, which I haven't read in many years, but reminded me how much I enjoyed them in the past. I really liked the relationship between both Evie and Sebastian. Evie's friendship with the other "Wallflowers" shows how women really act as friends.

Overall, I really enjoyed Devil in Winter, and will look for more books by Lisa Kleypas in the future. I plan on reading the rest of the books in the "Wallflowers" series, once I get a few more books read from my TBR pile.

4 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I really like reading about women friends, well written. And I love a good series. Might have to give this one a try.

Thanks for the review!

Stacy~ said...

I love Lisa Kleypas! Historical or contemporary, she rules. Some faves: "Dreaming Of You" tells the story of Derek Craven and Sara. Ivo Jenner, Evie's father from DIW, makes an appearence here. I love "Where Dreams Begin" with Zachary & Holland. It's my fave LK. Happy reading :)

mslizalou said...

Thanks for the suggestions Stacy. I'm always looking for more books to read. I really liked this book by Lisa, and plan on looking for more.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Liza,

The book sounds interesting! I'll have to add it to my ever growing list of ones to buy!

Hawk